What Homecoming Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Homecoming Means to Me

October 10, 2016
By hjjanzen BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
hjjanzen BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I guess homecoming never really was a big deal to me. Freshman year was new and refreshing, but it still had the stale taste of month old bread. Freshman year got old and so did homecoming the following  years. Senior year is the same for me. This time, that 4 year old bread would break a tooth if I bit down too hard. I only really see school as an educational platform, and not one that should contain events such as homecoming. Now don’t get me wrong, every once in awhile I’ll daydream or goof off in class, but I never really see school as a “friendly” environment for having fun. It’s like that one weird uncle who has fun with you all the time and then suddenly scolds you for doing something they would have done. It’s just weird in my opinion. I don’t really see my teachers as peers, but more so almost like a distant parent. A divorced single parent that has you for the weekend, only that weekend is 45 minutes a day on weekdays. Maybe it’s just me as I am a very shut off person to anyone other than my close friends.

With the “fun” had at homecoming, it is not in my taste either. Of course, that’s a personal problem, but it’s not something I would enjoy in my free time. The only thing “fun” about homecoming are students crunched onto hard bleachers with ear bursting, screeching music. The smell of unnecessary sweat and BO filling the gym quickly and students flooding the halls and exits like water flooding the building as the clock ticks down to the end of the day. Not to mention the 45 minute assembly that eats 5 minutes away from each class. All the hype of the homecoming leads to a crushing victory with our football team. Schools would like to have a victory on their homecoming so they make sure to schedule against a weakly coached team as they hold their helmets to the starry night sky in screams of victory. I’d rather see an evenly

matched hard game, but then again that’s just me. Then, there is the dance. The only school dance I went to was the 8th grade dance, and of course there were stories of pot brownies circulating the crowd and students grinding in front of horrified teachers. The parents watched in fear once they realized they never should’ve volunteered to chaperone. The same is with the homecoming dance and most any other school dance only now escalated. It’s not my cup of tea to be watched by people that know me while I divulge my inner “caveman”. It’s a crude way to put it, but if I choose to do something illegal or seen as morally wrong, I’m not going to do it in front of hundreds of people.    

So maybe something has just sucked the life and fun out of me, or maybe it’s just me. As a senior I still don’t really care what homecoming has to offer and I don’t think I ever will. I might regret not going to a high school dance, or participating in homecoming activities, but I’ll get over it.