My Little Red Poppy | Teen Ink

My Little Red Poppy

By Morgan1124 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Morgan1124 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Today is the last Monday in May. Veterans stand outside the entrance of Pick N’ Save near a vibrant red donation box. These veterans hand me a poppy, along with one for my dad. I look down at it. A smile comes to my face. It consists of a piece of wavy red material, a hard green center, and a green wire stem with a little fortune sized piece of paper connected to it. The paper said “Buddy” Poppy - “Wear It Proudly.” I will.

While we shop, I fidget with the flower in my hands. Walking to get Lucky Charms, I see people of all ages wearing a poppy just like me. We are a community. Not knowing anyone in the store, I feel connected as one for a day. Who made this? kept running through my mind as we walk through the aisles to get milk. A disabled veteran made this for me. Imaginations of this veteran come to mind. I have a poppy that was made by a hero.

This light, little red and green poppy is lovely. Representing bravery, poppies honor those who have fought for all of us. I am proud to receive a poppy that gives me a sense of community. Every year I look forward to going to the grocery store on the last Monday in May.