Memorial Day Today | Teen Ink

Memorial Day Today

By Wiesedog SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Wiesedog SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Memorial Day is that three day weekend that most people look forward to. Memorial day is a day the we remember those who have fallen to save our country. Without soldiers risking their lives, I wouldn't be able to write this essay.

Each year for Memorial day we go to downtown Merton to watch the parade. First is the Merton fire department in their vehicles throwing candy out of their windows. Next, the boy scouts and the sports teams. Last is the Veterans that live in the area. In my family there has been nobody that served in the military so this day does not affect us as much as others. Opposed to people that have veterans or people who did not make it back from war.

In school Memorial day week usually consists of doing patriot theme activities. I really enjoy it because I like learning about this and I would rather do that then  school stuff.

What memorial day means to me is that it is a day of remembrance. We remember all that have fallen to protect this country. And we honor them with this special day. This day started with the intent of honoring the fallen soldiers and i'm glad to say that we are still doing that today.