wan·der·lust/noun/ a strong desire to travel. | Teen Ink

wan·der·lust/noun/ a strong desire to travel.

September 23, 2016
By Anonymous

wan·der·lust
noun
a strong desire to travel.

I live in the present, but I’m not in the present. I live in the sky, I live in museums, I live in foreign places. God created such a marvelous place for us to live in, and there is nothing I want more than to see all of it. I want to go to a place where I don’t know the language, I want to eat sushi in Japan, I want to read a book in a cafe overlooking the Eiffel tower, I want to ride my bike through the streets of Copenhagen and Amsterdam, I want to see the elephants in India, and hike the mountains in New Zealand. I am consumed by wanderlust.


I long for the feeling of being on an airplane, and daydreaming about all the new places I’ll go when I arrive at my destination, and when my heart starts beating fast when I hear the voice of the flight attendant saying “we will soon be ready to land”. I long for the feeling of being a complete stranger to a new place, observing new faces, new smells, and new places. Thinking to myself “where do I even begin?”


I'm stuck. Society has kept me from leaving. I have to go to a bland building every day, and sit for eight hours, I have to apply to college, do homework, take a stupid standardized test! Don’t the people in charge of school systems  understand that you learn more from travelling, and exploring the world than by sitting for eight hours? Are they blind? Don’t they see the beauty of this world? Maybe they just don’t feel what I feel.


It’s so unfortunate that the only way to succeed in this world, you have to go to school for half of your life. I do understand why education is necessary, if it wasn’t for education the world would've probably ended by now. But, can we make learning better though, why does it have to be so stressing, learning should be fun. Learning should be going to museums instead of learning about history through powerpoints, learning should be going to the beach to study marine animals, learning should be travelling to Europe to learn about literature.


I wish I could just tap my feet three times like Dorothy did, and open my eyes to a new destination, I wish I had the guts to go against the standards of society and prove I can travel the world, and learn so much from it.  All I want is to be in an airplane right now, not worrying about anything just enjoying the moment, and living my life the way I want to live it.