To Our Younger Selves

Dear You,

Yes, you. The 6-year old boy who brings Batman-themed school supplies to the classroom. By now you should have learned how to tie your own shoelaces, or not set aside vegetables on a dinner plate, or even fix notebooks inside your blue trolley. You really should have. If not yet, you will, eventually…

You are young. You are small and dashing and quick and all around the place. You have no idea what you are doing but you keep on doing things. You are always willing to learn. And that’s what I like about you.

You are weak. You cry when your toys break, or when your favorite ice cream store runs out of your favorite flavor. You cover your ears when there is thunder but you roar like a lion, even louder than a lion does. You are not afraid to grow. And that’s what I like about you.

You are gullible. You still believe in dragons and tooth fairies and that Santa Claus would actually squeeze himself through a chimney. You dance when your dad’s friends tell you to do so. You are innocent and creative and fun. Your imagination is endless. And that’s what I like about you.

You are new to this world and trust me when I tell you you haven’t experienced much of life yet. Life is not a playground; it is an entire park. You will meet not only your playmates but so many different kinds of people. Some will be your friends. Others will be your close friends. And the rest, just some familiar faces you’ll keep seeing in all your ordinary days. Don’t be afraid to reach out. You have made it through 6 wonderful years. You will make it even further. I know you will and you can. That’s what I like about you.

You are young and stubborn and weak and gullible and impulsive and sensitive and vulnerable and curious. You are flawed and it’s beautiful. But you will grow and learn. You will be strong and capable and independent.

You are you. That is the most amazing thing that you can ever be.

And that’s what I like about you.

To and from you.

You are amazing.

wordsandthoughts said...
today at 12:54 pm
Nice work! Keep writing!

roundnround said...
Sep. 4 at 3:27 pm
This is amazing! Really makes me think back to myself back when I was five or six, and what I was like.

musiclover33This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 3 at 12:14 am
I absolutely love it!