Pathways to Success | Teen Ink

Pathways to Success

By Chelly456 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Chelly456 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

During the time of the Jim Crow Era there were many caucasians and African-Americans who invented revolutionary inventions; whether that inventor had experience or not they still created something that people still use today like Sybilla Masters who created the first corn pulverizer and Bessie Blount who created the first feeding tubes for handicapped people. Both Sybilla Masters and Bessie Blount had similar paths to success because they both created a revolutionary invention, however their paths to success were different because they had different levels of expertise.

Both Sybilla Masters and Bessie Blount had similar paths to success because they both created a revolutionary invention people still use today. For example “since corn was ground between two large stones” it made it harder for Native Americans to get the corn, so as Sybilla Masters watched the Native Women pounding the corn she thought of an idea of called the corn pulverizer that would “clean and cure Indian corn”. This proves that Sybilla Masters created an invention that would be able to help women cook the corn easier since it was so hard for them to cook the corn. Another example is when Bessie Blount served as a nurse for the amputees in World War II, feeding was a “great challenge for many of the handicapped’’ so Blount created a device that would be able to deliver food through a tube” to a mouth piece. This proves that because amputated people could not really eat as properly she created a device that would help them in a way where they can eat properly. On a final Both Sybilla Masters and Bessie Blount have similar paths to success because they both created a revolutionary device.

Sybilla Masters and Bessie Blount’s paths to success were different because they had different levels of expertise meaning that Bessie Blount was more experienced than Sybilla Masters. For example Sybilla Masters was like most colonial women who worked very hard to take care of “her family and prepare their food” because at that time the most common food required corn which was hard to cook. This proves that since Masters worked so hard to take care of her family she wouldn’t have had gone to college to become a technologist. Another example is Blount left and traveled North to New Jersey to become a physical therapist so she went to study at both “Panzar College of Physical Education and at Union Juniour College”. This proves that because Blount went to college she got a lot of experience with the medical field where she than began working with the amputees in World War II and creating her amazing device.

In conclusion both Sybilla Masters and Bessie Blount are remarkable innovators, even though Blount had more experience than Masters which shows how their paths to success were different. Their paths to success are similar because they both created a revolutionary invention many people still use today.

This piece was a Writing Cycle given by my writing teacher, there were two articles about women inventors during the time of the Jim Crow Era and we had to write a essay with the questions "How were the paths of these inventors similar and how they were different"