Being on a Cruise Ship: Expectations vs. Reality | Teen Ink

Being on a Cruise Ship: Expectations vs. Reality

By showchoirsoprano BRONZE, Hamilton, Ohio
showchoirsoprano BRONZE, Hamilton, Ohio

"You'll see in time, you will survive. Too soon to run, too late to hide. It's your density. Every pace, every strife." -Finding Neverland

Expectation: I didn't have a soild idea on how 2000 or more people were going to get on a cruise ship.

Reality: You had to wait an hour in a line of cars to park your car, and then another hour in line just to get through security, which was similar to airport security because they checked your bags and passports. But they seemed nicer than people in airport security.

Cruise Ship Room

Expectation: It's a quiet and relaxing room that has plently of space as well as an amazing view of the ocean.

Reality: It's a small crammed room with super thin walls, meaning you can hear the family next door or the little kids running down the hall. And the bed moves, because you're on a boat, so that can take some time to get used to. But in some cases, like I did, you can still have a great view of the ocean.

Passengers

Expectation: Besides the expectation of everyone being a rich know it all and stuck up, I didn't really think of anything else.

Reality: Yeah, some people can be really rude, especially to crew, which bothers me because they are people too. Not everyone is a rich stuck up person, but I did meet a lady who goes on a cruise with her husband EVERY OTHER MONTH! She must have lots of money in order to do that. I did meet some people my age that were cool.

Crew/Staff (Yes, there is a difference)

Expectation: I guess I was expecting everyone to be American. Before I went on this cruise, I didn't know there was a difference between crew and staff.

Reality: Most aren't American. Instead most are from the Philippines or Indonesia, at least the ship I was on. They all speak their native language (duh) as well as English. There were two American Sign Language Interperters on the ship as well for a deaf couple when they went to see shows, I attempted to sign with the deaf couple and they were really nice. Even my club director, like for teenagers, was from Serbia and she was really cool. We always gave her weird stares because she would count in Serbian when we played card games.

Feel free to comment or ask me anything about being a crusie ship! It was really fun!!!