My Responsibility to America | Teen Ink

My Responsibility to America

May 26, 2016
By nvanz GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
nvanz GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I was younger, one of my favorite things to do was to put on father’s old Air Force uniform. When I put it on it gave me the greatest sense of honor that I had never experienced. My father was in the Air Force for 23 years, and, as I grew up and the uniform started to fit me better, I realized I wanted to serve my country too. With time came wisdom and I realized that there was more to joining the Air Force than just fighting in a foreign country. They fight for the rights I am guaranteed to by the Constitution: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. As John F. Kennedy once said “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” Now I must ask myself that same question, and this is my answer.     


The uniform changed many things for me, it molded me and made me realize that my real responsibility to America is to serve by providing defense and security for my country, but as I thought on it more I remembered that there is more to serving my country than just fighting in the military. I must serve my country, yes, but in all aspects of my life. By serving and protecting my country when it is in need, for my country afforded me my rights and gave me endless opportunity as it did for millions before. It has given many the shining light that they needed to get them through their darkest times, so I must be there for my country when it needs me.

That uniform carried the burden of fighting for my freedom and the freedom of many others and one day I will carry that same burden, but it will be worth every minute. For not everyone has the same freedoms that I have so I shall not take them for granted. I must show my patriotism by taking an active part in my democracy, because what is the point of having government that is run “by the people, for the people” if the people in it don’t take an active part. Becoming educated in politics is the key so that I don’t follow blindly behind whoever everyone else supports.

The mission that the uniform carried, my father carried, and that I will one day carry cannot go to waste, so therefore I must educate others on the fundamental structure of our government. By spreading the word about the greatest democracy, I can get people excited that they can have a say in what goes on in our country. We take pride in our democracy, yet only 53.6% vote in primary elections, one of the lowest in the world, and the numbers are even lower for general elections. If people could just get out and vote or simply show their support for a candidate, then we would really be able to take pride in being the best democracy in the world. By getting people motivated, I can make sure that what my father, and many others fought for, does not go to waste.  

When I used to put that uniform on, I would’ve never imagined that I would one day fill the giant boots and expectations it came with, but now I realize that it should be my mission to fill both. I must show that I am willing to serve my country in my daily life as a citizen, and one day in my life as a soldier. It is my duty to serve the veterans who have gone before me and fought for all the things I love: freedom, democracy, and rights that I am guaranteed to as an American. They put it all on the line and one day I hope to do the same. Serving them in memory of all of their lost brothers who paid the ultimate price so that I could still be free. By showing my support for them, by assisting them in their times of need, and showing them that the fight that they fought was worth every minute.

That uniform molded me into someone who realized that there is more to serving my country than just joining the Air Force. It made me realize that I must serve all who have gone before me, understand that I must not take my rights for granted, show that I am willing to take part in the defense of our country, never lose hope for my country, and that I must keep fighting until I win or I can no longer fight.  So when asked what my responsibility to America is, the answer is simple. My responsibility to America is to serve in honor of the greatest country on Earth.