Born This Gay | Teen Ink

Born This Gay

By homestuck_for_days BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
homestuck_for_days BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

Teens often hear their parents and grandparents mention, "Back when I was your age..." in response to things such as being on cellphones and electronics too much. What we don't hear is them saying that when its not in their favor. "Back when I was your age, people like you didn't have simple human rights and I did nothing about it." I'd like to start this out by saying, yes, I'm a gay child in a family full of homophobes. I'm not going to paint them out to be the bad guys in this though, beause I may not agree with their views but I still respect them. These days I'm told at school by peers that I'm, "Too forward about my sexuality," but I think that's just a consequence of keeping it bottled up. My story of acceptence really began with a research project a year or two ago. I chose to read about a man I'd never heard of, named Harvey Milk. After learning about his insparational story, it opened a door for me to finally be more comfortable with who I was. He is truly a role model for me and I do hope that more people will be inspired to research him. Currently, I've come out to my friends and immediate reletives. I'm very greatful that they've been so accepting along the way.