Overpowering Happiness | Teen Ink

Overpowering Happiness

By angiew2299 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
angiew2299 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

All I can remember is shutting my eyes. As soon as I realized what had happened I started trembling. My pants were torn on my knees where the cerise blood was oozing out within every second. I was in complete hysteria laying down on the verdurous grass in silence looking upon what I had done within less than a minute. My hands and knees were bleeding all over. The blood was getting on my clothes and everything around me. Not only do I see myself injured, but I see my cousin Natalie bleeding a ton as well. But I was far away from her actually. I can’t see her whole body unfortunately. All I see is her body facing towards the ground. One of her legs was stuck underneath the ATV.  I was really scared at this point. I didn’t know the amount of damage I had done.

It seemed as though it was going to be a mundane Saturday to me when we first began the drive to Wisconsin with my parents, cousin, and uncle. The 4 hour drive to our lake house seemed as though it was 10 hours. Sleeping on my pillow against the car window was so uncomfortable and my neck began getting stiff. As cliché as it might sound, all I kept asking my parents was, “Are we there yet?” But they never seemed to answer the question, and they would just digress from the topic. All I looked forward to was getting to our house and finally being able to sit back and relax.

After arriving to our lake house, I began to get very excited because my parents were finally allowing me to drive the atv. I was more than just excited actually, I was ecstatic because the most exciting part of going to our lake house was riding the atv. Yes, the roasting of the s’mores on the bonfire was a plus as well, but nothing beat the atv. My sister and I would fight as to who would get to ride it, but for my advantage she didn’t come with us to Wisconsin this time. Before I was able to ride the atv, my parents had told me I had to eat lunch.

Sitting. Eating. Waiting. All I wanted was to be excused. My mind was focused on one thing, the atv. I sat there just thinking and thinking about it.  But, all my excitement had to be contained, because I had to wait for everyone to finish eating. I kept taking small sips of water, and hoping it would pass time. After what seemed to be forever, they all finally finished eating.

I inserted the key in the ignition. I took a look at my Natalie and smiled. It was all about to go down. The moment I was waiting for all day. I started the engine. It was music to my ears. Natalie got on with me and it was time for us to ride.

I loved this feeling. The feeling where my hair is getting swept back by the wind and flowing all over. Except Natalie would have to disagree because having to sit right behind me, she was getting all my hair in her face… Oops. Our backyard was very big and I had lots of space to ride. But driving in circles was honestly beginning to get boring. I knew of a path my dad showed me last time that let to the forest. I thought to myself that I can get away with going into the forest without my parents finding out.

I went onto the path in full speed. I felt exhilarated, like nothing can stop me now. I turned back to make sure I can remember the way I came in. At this very moment, all I remember was the feeling of hitting something. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground. I looked and saw what happened. Natalie had fallen off as I did, but the atv had fallen down on her as well. I could see by her face how much pain she was in. Even though I was in terrible pain as well, I got up and went straight over to her to see if she was okay. She managed to get most of herself out from underneath the atv. But her leg was stuck. I lifted with all my might and finally got the atv back on four wheels.

“Angie, I can’t move my leg,” she said. I knew I had messed up really bad at this point. I helped her up back onto the atv and drove back to my house. When I got there I had told my parents what happened. They were extremely disappointed in me, but more importantly worried about Natalie’s leg.

We drove to the hospital right away and got a doctor to take a look at her leg. They examined her, but they needed to be sure and took x-rays. When the results came back, the doctors told her it was broken.

I was devastated. I could not believe what I had done. I was just as disappointed in myself as my parents were in me. My excitement had got to me and overpowered me. Natalie’s leg was broken and it was all my fault. I was so embarrassed of my actions, and it was hard to look her in the eyes. The amount of times I had said I’m sorry it probably a world record.

After this long day, I knew I would never risk someone else’s safety anymore. I had learned my lesson and would never do something like that again. Also my parents told me I wasn’t allowed to ride it anymore which was totally understandable. I was scared to even ride it to be completely honest. To this day, I have not step foot on an atv. But, on the bright side, she forgave me, and hey at least she didn’t have to do gym for over a month!