A Thought Cycle | Teen Ink

A Thought Cycle

May 13, 2016
By madelynadele27 SILVER, Hemet, California
madelynadele27 SILVER, Hemet, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.
I can't see the clock but I can hear it and oh, how I can imagine it’s intimidating, cherry red arms rotating around the circumference at a rate suspiciously faster than time is supposed to run. It seems an exception to the laws of time itself.

Oh. What am I doing again? Oh yeah I’m taking a test. Right… Ok. Number one, “Describe how Henry IV…”
Who is Henry IV? I think he was from England- or was it France? Yes, definitely France.

I wish I could travel to France instead of take this test. France must be absolutely enchanting this time of year, all of the bright blooming flowers, the enormous, romanesque palaces and towering gothic cathedrals with their grand, stained glass windows. Windows with heavenly illumination of saints, like St. Patrick, St. Sebastian, St. Nicholas- the secret gift-giver who, I believe, inspired the infamous Santa Claus.

I can’t wait for Christmas! When Mom makes her famous marshmallow chocolate fudge and Grandma brings the toffee on Christmas morning! Mmm I could live on Grandma’s toffee- rich, salty, caramelized, chocolate candy with sprinkles of crushed almonds and her secret ingredient, known to few. And the ginger bread house contest (a most competitive tradition between my siblings and cousins and I) in which the architect with the largest, most elaborate, eloquent, decorated, and most exquisite ginger bread house is the victor. I intend to win this Christmas. I will triumph. I will conquer.

Speaking of conquerors… Right! Henry IV! I’d better hurry and finish this test!

“Pencils down!”

That distracting clock can clearly be blamed for my impending failure.