Nightmares | Teen Ink

Nightmares

May 8, 2016
By IvyYoung BRONZE, Putney, Vermont
IvyYoung BRONZE, Putney, Vermont
4 articles 4 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"It's the things you don't understand make the most sense."


Something’s not right.


My head popped up out of my crossed arms that were laid firmly on my desk. The wind had whispered in my ears multiple times, so I was familiar with its tone, but then it seemed more shaken. I had listened carefully to it, because I had a feeling deep in my soul of a burning uneasiness. I was only ten and petrified of what my future would have been.


I hurt so much...I can’t breathe.


I began shaking like a stray dog in cold weather. My eyes would dart from one side of the room to the other scanning my surroundings thoroughly. My senses began to peak as the sounds around me pierced my ears like nails on a chalk board. I was engulfed in a pain worse than what I had experienced before. So I ran. I ran outside of the class all the way outside the front of the school. I wasn’t alone though; two teachers had followed, running after me.


Just leave me alone! Please!


I began to scream and cry in pain. At that point I knew something was wrong. I tried to think of every possibility of what it could be. Then a sudden rip through my heart like a bullet shot less than one inch away told me it was my mother. My brother. My unborn sibling that coiled my heart in happiness. I knew right then I wasn’t ever going to meet him. I was torn away from my thoughts when the teachers yanked my arms behind my back as they tried to pull me into the school.


Why don’t you know what I’m going through?! Stop it!


The sound of rain flooded my ears and I struggled to slip out of the grasp of the hands of my enemies. As my arms turned black and blue, I got weaker, then I broke. Every ounce of me left and died in the sound of thunder that boomed through the skies. The teachers finally gave up and asked me what was wrong, but I was emotionless.
“He’s gone...” I muttered through chapped lips. I let my last broken sigh escaped my lips.
“What do you even mean?” one of the teachers harsh voice asked quizzically.
“My brother. He’s gone.” I kept repeating it over and over to try and convince myself that it wasn’t true, but somehow I knew that it was.


Why?


Now I sit here staring blankly at the wall of my room in silent darkness, sweat beading on my forehead, then streaming down my terror stricken face. I just woke up from a nightmare that has followed me since his death took place. Everytime I close my eyes my head pops up out of my crossed arms. It’s like a broken repeat button. All I want to do is fix it so that it will never bother me again, but for some reason there isn’t a way to do it.