Affixing Creativity | Teen Ink

Affixing Creativity

April 26, 2016
By timosmith BRONZE, Los Altos, California
timosmith BRONZE, Los Altos, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Duct tape. All people have it; most people don’t really give a darn about it. In fact, it’s really one of those inventions that too many people take for granted. Many people just don’t regard the strength and power that each seam provides as an eighth wonder of the world. Few, however, may consider the fact that duct tape was first employed as a sealant for ammunition boxes during World War II as one of the reasons the Allies truly won the war. Others may credit the success of Apollo 13 to the fact that duct tape was used to repair three astronauts’ broken CO2 filters; hence, saving their derrières, per se. It is a pioneering piece of technology that can last people five lifetimes, at an expense of merely a few dollars and a zippy visit to the arts and crafts department at one’s local convenience store.

A “great bang for your buck,” many would call it. Certain product reviewers have even described duct tape as a “heavenly creation” or “magically versatile.” I guess that is what it truly is to me: magical. It simply can be used in so many ways. Along with being a tool of ultimate strength, duct tape graciously served as a utensil for unleashing my creative juices when I was younger due to the multitude of variations of tape now being created. The plenitude of designs and multi-purposeful functions lured me in at first sight and propelled me to fashion my very own duct tape collection.

If one was to unfold the flaps of the aged cardboard box that my rolls of duct tape inhabit, he or she would likely be amused by the tens of different hues, patterns, and styles of tape inside. One would probably even utter, “I didn’t even know all these existed,” or simply make a comment on what the hell I was doing with that many rolls of tape.

Therefore, it’s not just the familiar gray and black variants that entice me. Each roll I possess portrays on its very surface a dazzling and dramatic work of art that, ironically, I have harnessed to make my own artistic duct tape masterpieces. Even after dwelling under the rain of constant dust in my closet, the collection still holds its same magnificence and splendor as it did when I was younger.

I acquired my first roll of colored tape in fifth grade -- when the duct tape wallet industry was experiencing an all time boom. It seemed like people were going berserk for this new fad, so I decided to take a deeper look into what the hype train was all about. Upon taking a trip to Target, a dedicated aisle for duct tape jumped out at me. I was mesmerized by just how creatively companies could turn the seemingly boring utilitarian object into a grand exposition of liveliness that no doubt could even catch the attention of a harried shopper or a long-tenured handyman wed to the traditional gray varietal. Not even my five dollars of cherished and all-too-scant allowance money could resist leaping of my pocket and into the cashier’s hand that day.

And so my adventures with rolls of tape began. Strangely enough, making things out of duct tape -- wallets, check holders, pens, etc. -- became more engaging than shooting airsoft guns or destroying an army of orcs on my Xbox. I credit this pursuit as being the generator of my zeal to explore and create new things. Although I mostly only use my special duct tape now for giving a little extra flavor to the occasional tasks of fixing leaks or hanging up posters, I still am comforted whenever I step into my closet and gaze upon the wonder and possibility I observe in the jumble of luminosity nestled in that mundane cardboard box on my floor.

Maybe that’s the way us duct tape enthusiasts like to see life: taking ordinary things and infusing them with a healthy dose of creativity to give them more value and importance. We like to wonder if somehow transforming strips of tape into works of art, or if simply appreciating this magnum opus of the tape industry, can give the world just a little extra splash of colorful eccentricity. Who knows? Maybe by pulling back the seams, we will reveal to the world a whole new patchwork of creativity and inspiration.