Gone for a Drive | Teen Ink

Gone for a Drive

By HMcDonald SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
HMcDonald SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

It was not exactly the morning and it was not exactly night. The rays of light had dimmed, clouds darkened overhead and the sun was stuck on the horizon, ready to free fall into darkness. There, cruising their way through the curved road, mountain side to their right, dazzling sea shining with the crystal waters of summertime to their left the three girls sped up the inclining road off to some farther place. The orange jeep did well to refract the lowering sunlight, a beaming fire in its own right, like the stars in the heavens. One girl, head rested upon the window of the rear passenger seat, right behind the driver, had the view of the lake all to herself. Beyond those of the smooth waters another hillside stood, seemingly impossible to travel to, and covered in greenery, like a coat would cover a body in the dead of winter. The overwhelming trees did well to cover the landscape, and the hillside was impeccable. Untouched from the outside world, no winding roads and no sign of people to taint the beauty of an untouched land. It was surreal. The brightened sky broke out into a flurry of unimaginable colors. Pinks, the colors of rouged cheeks, purples the shade of electrically vibrant flowers, dark grays that shook in the sky above, and a blue so pale and jagged across the sky it appeared like lightning had struck and been frozen in time in the midst of it’s destruction. The girl noticed all of these things, even as the three females rose higher on the mountainside. A window was let down, a flurry of hairs coming out from the driver’s window. They swayed intensely in the breeze while the roads twisted, the world spun and the three were held in the moment of loud pop music and the even louder roar of an engine for what seemed like an eternity. The vehicle whisked off in the endless journey. As the sky dimmed from the outside a crack of thunder and a gleam of light flooded the heavens, taking the lighting bolt that had once been paused in the clouds and putting it into play. With the threatening sound the window was rolled up, protecting the three from the events to come. Rain followed and sprinkled the earth, but all the while the girl with her head by the window noticed that the sky above the isolated hillside from across the lake was clear. Nothing overhead the land shone, but the orange of a setting sun. Rain beat down on the sunkissed metal like a drum and the sound of the engine was drowned out by the immense patter of water mixed with the crackle of thunder. And then it was over. The car, appropriately named Mango Tango by the driver, was swallowed whole by a mass of trees. Their leaves near touching the roof, branches shaking viciously in the storm, but despite all of this they left protection from the water overhead. The road remained dark for a long way. The only source of light came from the headlights of the Jeep, and the overbearing streams of light that flooded overhead from the lightning that struck. The tree’s muffled sounds left eerie shadows, and dropped a handful of leaves into view with every meter that was traveled. But as soon as it had started, the beating of raindrops softened and a few clouds gave way from above the tops of the trees. It was not night yet, despite the long journey, and as the three made their way from out of the protection of the trees there was light. But the seconded hillside, only a lake away, had vanished from sight, like it had never been there to begin with.