I Can Go the Distance | Teen Ink

I Can Go the Distance

By schmimak BRONZE, Charles City, Iowa
schmimak BRONZE, Charles City, Iowa

A day that I will always remember, the day I ran my first 10k. Putting my toe on the starting line and feeling my heart drop to my stomach. I would need my heart though, because in running when you run of strength, you run with your heart. The air was cool, calm, and crisp, and my nerves had set in, the race was about to start. Bang! The sound of the starting gun rang into the air. I took off running, fast like the wind, I knew then it was going to be a fun run.

The first 4 miles I felt like a cheetah running through the savanna, I felt strong, safe, and secure in my pace. Then came mile 5, my legs felt like jello, and I could feel fire burning in my lungs. “Keep going, keep going” the thought rang through my head. Now was the time I had to run with my heart, I had to finish this race.

I could never tell you how I did it, I myself don’t really know. I guess that’s the thing about running, the real run starts when you want to stop. I finally caught a glimpse of the finish line and I felt like an Olympic runner about to win the race. I had never been happier, and felt proud when I had my medal put around my neck. “Running in the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it”  I plan on putting a lot into running, running is my life.

I was inspired to write this piece after I ran my first 10K ( 6.2 mile) race. Running is often the inspiration for a lot of my writing because it makes feel strong, and alive.