Failure | Teen Ink

Failure

By Juhwad BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
Juhwad BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Ball. Is. Life.

In 7th Grade, I decided to try out for the boys basketball team. Back then, I didn’t think very many people played basketball, so I thought I would be on the A team for sure. But the day of basketball try outs, I asked around to the people in my classes and found out that there would be a lot of people trying out. Sure enough, when I got there there was about 40 kids there. I started to get nervous, but then I thought that I would do fine anyways and make the A team. After 2 days at tryouts, I felt pretty good about my chances. I felt like I was doing a good job. On the last day of tryouts, I just played my game and tried my hardest. I just remembered talking to kids and saying that I wasn’t entirely sure that I would make the team, but in my head I thought that I would make it for sure. Back then, I thought I was the best at everything because that was what I was used to in elementary school. When they brought us out into the hallways, everyone looked nervous because nobody knew who was good and who wasn’t. I think everyone was also scared because it was probably the first time for most of us to get cut from a team. They lined us up in alphabetical order and we just had to wait. It took me a while because my last name starts with P, so I had more time to think about what was going to happen. Back then, I thought that there was a very small chance I would make the B team and that there was no way that I would not even make a team. Finally, it was my turn to find out what team I would be on. When I walked into the locker room to where they were telling me what team I would be on. Both of the coaches looked at me and the B team coach said “ Jake, you're going to be playing for my team this year.” He handed me the paper about with the practice schedules and shook my hand. And I didn’t say anything so I just walked out of the locker room.

After that, I was devastated because I thought I was gonna make the A team. I thought the B team would suck and I would hate it on the B team. One of the worst feelings is someone telling you that you're not good enough even when you tried your hardest. Back then I wasn't really even that good, and making the B team made me realize that. So, the next summer I worked very hard to try to get as good as I could. The work paid off, and the next year I moved up to the A team. Now, the season for the freshman team just ended, and I probably would not have played for that team if I didn’t get cut from the A team in 7th grade.

This is a personal story about trying out for a basketball and about overcoming failure