Two Awfully White Cheeks | Teen Ink

Two Awfully White Cheeks

By alyssafahner BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
alyssafahner BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan

I’m the connoisseur of having awkward moments with my family. Even though we are only a family of four, we still have cringe worthy moments together on a daily basis. No matter how good something is going, the Lords of Karma just love to bless us with embarrassing moments even if we don’t deserve them. Me, being the oldest child, and not understanding jokes until hours later then laughing about it, really brings me to have awkward moments with my family. Heck if I heard a joke in the morning and didn’t understand it, then went to a funeral later that day and understand the joke, I would burst out laughing at the funeral. But besides a simple joke and a funeral ruiner, there are plenty of more awkward moments where that came from. Not only just from me… But from the rest of my family too. I’m not the only one taking part in these awkward moments so are my dad, mother, and brother as well.

One night that was suppose to be joyful and fun, I was walking into my own private bathroom, to do my business, in my bedroom, while my dad is throwing his own 50th birthday party with at least a hundred people at my house. So instead of going to the bathroom everyone is using I decide to go in my bathroom that is connected to MY BEDROOM that is only accessible through a small hallway in MY BEDROOM. It is a chance for me not only to go to the bathroom in the safety of MY BEDROOM but to also get some time away from all the annoying people screaming and yelling ‘Happy Birthday!’ To my dad.

Only as I enter the suppose to be secluded bathroom, I see the door to the toilet wide open with a man standing butt naked peeing into MY TOILET that is in the bathroom connected to MY BEDROOM. After seeing the two awfully white cheeks, I quickly turn away and am shocked by what I just saw in only two milliseconds. Thank the Lord I did not see the front side. That would have been a terrible image that would never ever leave my poor innocent head. I sure let out a gasp and sprinted to go hide in my dark closet for an actual good hiding place where I know no one else would be at. I was faster than my dad when someone yells, “FREE FOOD!”. Luckily the strange man at my dad’s party, didn’t see me, so I wait to get out of the closet until he leaves. Then decide to leave the closet a couple minutes after he has left MY BATHROOM.

Why must men leave the door open while they pee? Do they want a teenage girl to walk in? And not only that but the bathroom was in a private space that was obviously not for them to be in because it was in a TEENAGE GIRL’S BEDROOM. Couldn’t they just go in the public bathroom like everyone else at the party?

So of course I go down stairs back to the party about ten minutes after the guy leaves MY BATHROOM. Thinking he’s probably intoxicated and peeing with the door open is a theory that pops in my mind but ignore it because surprisingly there isn’t much drinking at my dad’s 50th birthday party. Just a lot of weird party games that all the teenagers that got pulled along to the obnoxious party can’t play, so us teenagers are in the basement playing video games and watching tv instead.

As I get downstairs I go straight to my dad to tell him about my “experience” since he is finally alone and not one of the a hundred people are around small talking it up with him.

“Dad oh my gosh… Guess what just happened?” I said.

“I bet you can’t trump mine. I was using your bathroom when a girl came up stairs in your room and saw me peeing since the door was wide open! I forgot to shut it and I never heard a girl gasp so fast and leave the bathroom before,” My dad says nonchalantly with rosy red cheeks.

My eyes go wide and I don’t know whether I should be relieved it was just my dad’s butt that I saw and not some other weird middle aged man or if I should feel disgusted because I SAW MY DAD’S BUTT.

“Ha ha ha… Guilty as charged. That girl was me,” I respond awkwardly. My dad starts laughing so loud, basically the whole party turns to look at us. He then proceeds to laugh and under his breath repeats, ‘thank god it was only you’.

Basically, as you can tell, embarrassing moments not just happen to me but to other family members as well. Of course this leads to great inside jokes later in the future, but embarrassing and awkward situations in the present, and moments from the past engraved in your mind forever. This is what it’s like to live with the most awkward family of four you will ever meet. Having embarrassing moments not just a few times a month, but on our schedule daily even if we don’t have these moments planned.