Reflective Essay | Teen Ink

Reflective Essay

By LilaMunson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LilaMunson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“All things are possible for one who believes”  Mark 9: 23. My goal in life is to become an author. The bible verse Mark 9: 23 has inspired me to accomplish my goal. The bible verse makes me feel like I have power to do what I want, and be able to finish what I started. My past, present, and into my future, have helped me become who I am today.

I have not always had a passion for writing. In my past I never found it useful. It was pointless to me. Now I absolutely love writing. It started in seventh grade, I was always sad and I never found a way to be happy so I decided to write how I felt. For me, I was happy when I was writing. Now it’s overall a great thing for me to do to keep me occupied and not wasting time on pointless things. Its also a stress relief. I can write how I feel and no one has to see my feelings and writings because I can throw it away. Writing calms me down and it has been sort of addicting to me.  I’m able to let go of the past and restart.

I have started to write a book. It’s called Scars. The book is about a girl who is battling anorexia and she gets put into a home for boys and girls who battle the illness and have extreme cases of it. She is also dealing with depression, anxiety, and bulimia. Her life is hectic because her mother is abusive, her father is always working, and her younger sister always finds ways to hurt and make fun of her. She has to take care of herself and her sister, and move away to college but her plans get stopped when she gets put into the home. Before she gets sent into the home her mother gets arrested for abusing her, soon after she is sent away. She starts writing in a journal and lets everything out. Writing is a way for many people to feel, by society's standards, “normal”. They can find relief from the real world and put themselves into their own little fantasy.

My passion for writing went from nothing at all to beginning to write a book, all in a couple years. I believe that I will be able to make it with practice and more knowledge on the topic.  “All things are possible for one who believes.” Mark 9:23. I’m proud of where I am today. I want to go on with what I have started and make this into my career.