Seeing Through Crooked Eyes | Teen Ink

Seeing Through Crooked Eyes

By MadelineM14 SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas
MadelineM14 SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas

I still remember when I first noticed it. It seemed to come about overnight. All of a sudden I was looking around and things looked different. I sat in the passenger seat of my mom's car and looked out that glass window and saw two roads where there was only supposed to be one. Two of the same car driving ahead of us, so close they were overlapping each other just barely. I didn't understand it, but it would probably go away. I just needed more sleep. It didn't go away a week later. It didn't go away a month later. And I remember it was summer, and my family had met up with all our aunts and cousins for a trip to Yellowstone National park. I saw two of the wooden path that twisted ahead of us. It never went away, almost three years later.

I’ve developed a problem where one of my eyes moves inward involuntarily. Just enough so that I see some things in double. It's almost like having permanently crossed eyes; I guess maybe I crossed them too much as a kid, and they just got stuck like that. My mom, her sister, and my grandma have all had it, so I guess it's no wonder it decided to make itself active in me as well. It has gotten worse now, almost everything I look at is "doubled", meaning I see two of the same thing. It gets harder to see things clearly, and I definitely have good days and bad days. Though it's gotten to the point now where I'm scared others will see my eye turn in. I don't want it to be visible, I don't want the people around me to notice. It's hard to look people in the eyes, because it's always there. I'll never know who sees it and who doesn't. I hate it, but I shouldn't. I shouldn't have to worry what other people will think, I shouldn't care really. But I do, almost constantly.   

Teenagers, and others feeling like me, don’t need to worry about things we can’t change about ourselves. Or even things that we can change, no one should have to worry about being perceived wrongly, or what the consequence of it might be. A girl shouldn’t have to worry about how much she weighs in a society that glorifies skinny body types. A boy shouldn’t have to worry about what emotions he is able to show in a society that teaches him to hold them in. We are conditioned to care what the people around us think about us at all times. If we understand ourselves, nothing else should matter. Someone else’s opinion of us shouldn't change our own opinion of ourselves. I feel this happens a lot in teenagers today; they get overwhelmed by who might think what about them and don't take the time to consider what they think about themselves. No person should ever want to change to suit other people, and no person should have to worry about things they can't change about themselves. Insecurities are just things we are made to believe are flaws about ourselves.