Dreams Do Come True | Teen Ink

Dreams Do Come True

By mbriggs BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota
mbriggs BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota

Seeing a bird flying when you're walking or driving is amazing too really think about. Having the feeling of flying thousands feet above the ground is feeling of its own. But being about to control your movements at great speed is an unreal feeling. Humans have never been able to fly but thankfully we have had a technological boom that made it possible for humans too fly in machines. It really is a marvel of human engineering when you think about the concept of flight. It amazes me just looking up at the sky and watching planes cross over me. This is why I want to continue my love for the art of flight by going into a Career associated with it. My dream job is becoming a military pilot because I have had a passion for flight, a love for traveling and most of all it's a realistic lifetime job. 

My Passion for flight and anything that really fly’s comes from my father being a military pilot. He got his passion from my grandfather who was a pilot in the in World War 2 who came home and continue his career in the private sector. My father spent a lot of time as a kid with him flying model planes. He then decided too became a pilot in the Navy serving in the Gulf War and the Invasion of Iraq doing 17 tours total in his 22 year career.  I was around 6-7 when he started taking me on flights with him. His dream came true after he got his own private plane. This was a dream of his that he was dreaming about as a kid and finally was able to do. We would go to the airport a lot summers when he was home and spend hours in the hangar where he would show me how the plane worked and how to care for it. The first plane he got was a small 4 person single prop plane. It was basically the 90’s Ford Taurus of the private aviator market. It was a very simple, low cost airplane that was small, but a whole lot of fun. It was a awesome time for me because being a kid and being around it is what really planted the seed in me that would grow over the years too have a passion and love for flight.

When becoming a pilot you have too learn to love too travel to different places.. For my job I will likely be either stationed on a naval base in the US or more likely being put on a aircraft carrier. I would much rather be on a aircraft carrier because I would be able to travel all over the world. I have already lived in many places across the world because of my father being stationed at bases all over the place. So because of this i am no stranger to the idea of constantly moving too places very far away. This is actually the reason how my Father met my mother. He met her when their aircraft carrier came to the port of Cartagena, Colombia. He only stayed a week then they were off again and from there they would write to each other all the time. Then they eventually the got married. My father met a lot of people on his journeys around the world including my mother. He made many friends of different nationality and all walks of life. I would love to meet a lot of different people because being in New Prague gives me limited selection of people based on their culture and really there way of life. Traveling around the world gives you a rare in site into something most people don't see. Being able to see all the different cultures of the world and all the people of the world gives you a real picture of human life which just fascinates me. You can truly understand the human species and see for yourself how unique and diverse it is. It gives you great knowledge of the world by how people act, think, and dream. You might be able to gain much knowledge by going on the Internet or reading in a book about a certain place or a certain idea, but too really gain great knowledge you have to see everything that isn't in books or if it is, see it for yourself with your own eyes.

Being able to a state of the art aircraft that cost in excess of 200 million dollars that contains top secret technology that is priceless if much easier than you would think. All you really need is to have a GED, be below six feet tall, have 20/20 vision or better, a US citizen, and a 4 year bachelor's degree in any field which will be paid for. This is actually not asking for a lot and is really doable for a lot of people. The hardest part of all of this is being able to have a strong mind and being able to overcome the stress of all the training. First step is to get a 4 year degree in anything. My father joked around how some pilot's got ridiculous degrees. He once told me how a guy got a bachelor's in zoology, so this shows how any bachelor's degree will do. I have applied too St. Cloud and have been accepted. I will be getting a degree in engineering there which will be all paid for by the navy which is a very nice thing. Getting a degree will be the first in my final goal of becoming a commissioned officer. Going to college will be very exciting for me, being that i will be the first in my family too go, it will also be exciting for my family as well. When I get my degree, I will be sent out to a basic training and then flight school. There I will train for 1 years and get my “wings” as they would say too fly. This would mean would be cleared to fly and start my career flying. Basic training will be the easy part but then i will go to flight school where i will actually learn how to fly. I will start of by getting my physical requirements done. I will have to be very fit and in shape. Flying a fighter jet is extremely physically demanding. The average fighter pilot will have to be able to take 13 G’s and still be conscious for 1 minute. That is 13 times the gravity here on earth. The average person would just black out but after a lot of training you can learn how to control yourself.

A dream can come true but only if you work for it hard enough. I've had this dream for a long time and I plan on making it a reality. They great thing about this dream is it that is not all that crazy too come true. I Have the the physical requirements and I am very mentally stable which is the most important part. People can train too have physical attributes but having a strong mental mentality is much, much harder too have. The opportunities afterwards will be very plentiful as well. I will be continuing my family's heritage and also be following my dream.

My father inspired me for this.