The Few, The Proud | Teen Ink

The Few, The Proud

February 9, 2016
By devilpup10 BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota
devilpup10 BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

27 November 1950: Chinese forces surround the 1st Marine Division at Chosin Reservoir in Korea. A cold front had set in a few days earlier with highs only reaching about -35 degrees.  The temperatures were so low, rifles lubrication systems gelled up and jammed, medicine was freezing so the medics had to defrost them before injecting, radios ceased function, and vehicles would not start.  The Chinese knew this and saw it as an advantage to attack in such horrendous weather conditions.  But what Chinese did not know was they were planning to attack the greatest fighting force to ever walk the planet at that time, the 1st Marine Division.  For three days, the Chinese attacked at night and day trying to break the lines of the Marines.  It was continuous strikes and retreats for the Chinese while the Marines defensive line remained unbreakable.  The Marines who fought in the Battle of Chosin Reservoir showed the world that they were THE best fighting machine in the world.  The 1st Marine Division was out numbered 33 Chinese divisions to their one.  It is absolutely unbelievable the Marine lines did not break because a division consists of 10,000 to 20,000 men.  The math comes out to be, on the low end, 10,000 Marines versus 330,000 Chinese soldiers.  This battle perfectly depicts the Marine Corps as a whole.  The Marines at Chosin showed unbelievable physical toughness while enduring the worst winter Korea has to offer; every single Marine there knew their fellow devil dogs lives were dependent on their ability to hold the defensive front as a team; not a single Marine at the Chosin Reservoir was going to leave their post, until commanded to do so, unless they gave every last drop of energy their bodies had to offer… which means they were no longer alive.  Amazing battle stories like Chosin Reservoir is actually common, which is what initially drew me to the Marine Corps.  Being a Marine is my dream job because a Marine is very respected, I desire to travel the globe and see all walks of life, and I want the be part of the best family on the face of this planet.  


The respect for Marine Corps as a whole and for the individuals who make up the Corps is tremendous.  The definition of respect is a deep admiration for someone or something for their abilities, qualities, or achievements.  The Marine Corps respect is most definitely earned.  Since 1775, the Marines have achieved several tremendous feats such as the Battle of Belleau Wood in WWI where the Marines fought  the German army fiercely were nicknamed “Devil Dogs” by German Papers; In WWII at Iwo Jima, the Japanese claimed Iwo Jima was impossible to be captured, the Marines did it in only 36 days; the “chosen few” at Chosin Reservoir in Korea; the War of 1812, the British burned Washington D.C. to the ground, the only building that remained untouched was the Marine Corps barracks. They burned an entire city to the ground, but didn’t have the guts to attack the big dog.  These are all examples of the Marine Corps’ achievements as a whole.  People respect what the Marine Corps is capable of because it is nothing short of greatness. Consequently, people respect those who stand personally and serve for the Marine Corps.  Achievements like these, as well as the respect, go all the way down to the individual level.  On 8 September 2009, Dakota Meyer and his squad were ambushed by the Taliban while escorting Afghan soldiers by Humvee.  The squad was under heavy fire. After making it through the “kill zone”, Meyer learned that there was a fair number of fellow marines and army soldiers pinned down in the kill zone.  Meyer made the mile long trek through the kill zone in the turret of a Humvee to rescue the pinned down men.  On the first trip in, Meyer rescued 5 soldiers and returned them to safety; on his second trip in, 4 wounded marines were rescued but in the process, Meyer's Humvee was damaged so Meyer and a driver switched trucks to make another trip. Dakota Meyer made a total of 5 trips to save a total of 36 men and recover the bodies of several others.  Corporal Dakota Meyer was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions on this day.  Because of acts a true courage and selflessness, much like Dakota Meyer’s, The Marine Corps and its Marines are admired by so many people.  I want to be a Marine to uphold all standards and traditions of the Corps in hope to earn the respect that has been earned by the Marine Corps and the Marines before me.  Marines are stationed all over the globe for duties that require the respected abilities of a Marine.  Marines are stationed at every American embassy, and as a result of that Marines earn a lot of opportunities to travel the globe.


Having seen so many different countries in pictures and movies, it has inspired me to travel the world and see these places for myself.  I have always desired to travel to Southeast Asia because it is so different compared to American culture.  Asian values are much more spiritual and much less self-centered compared to Americans.  Living in Asia, these values would wear off on me. The American values intertwined with Asian values would be so beneficial to a person because it would be a combination of individual prosperity as well as a drive to make society as a collective group better.  The Marine Corps and its several bases in Southeast Asia provides this opportunity to me.  Another destination I would like to travel to is the Middle East.  As well as the Asian culture, the Middle East is completely different from the United States.  The United States has developed a slight prejudice towards the Middle East because it is presented by media that nothing good seems to come from there.  For example, our society equates the Islamic religion, which is the dominant religion of Middle Easterners, to terrorism.  This is due to the imbalance of media coverage on the good and bad Muslims.  The evening news seems to consistently have coverage of a terroristic act in America.  Unfortunately entities such as ISIS are the culprits for these attacks which puts a poor connotation to the Islamic religion, therefore shifting the blame to the religion rather than the loony bins who conduct the attacks. Due to the poor perception given to Muslims in America, I most definitely have a skewed view on Middle Eastern people.  Going to the Middle East would help open my eyes to Middle Eastern culture and possibly build relationships with Muslims.  The Marine Corps provides an opportunity to travel to the Middle East which will in turn provide an opportunity to build a working relationship with Muslims, rather than see them as a potential suicide bomber with 15 pounds of C4 under their burka.  Becoming a Marine would give me the chance to travel the world at a young age and experience life through the eyes of another culture.  Traveling the globe while collecting income is an outstanding benefit of the Marine Corps.  Being stationed around the globe may bring potential conflicts along with it.  For example, the threat of an attack upon Americans in the Middle East is very possible.  To ensure safety for yourself, the Marine to your left, and the Marine to your right you become very close to the Marines that stand next to you.  You may potentially hold their life in you had at any moment, so you become very close to your brothers who stand with you.


The Marine Corps is the best family on the face of this planet.  The idea of family in the Marine Corps is a stronger bond than a lot of biological families.  Marines are brought to recruit training, broken down to mentally, and reconstructed into a United States Marine.  The Marine Corps is a tightly woven family of brothers coming out of boot camp.  Marine Corps recruit training instills individual success because that translates to group success.  If one of the Marines at Chosin Reservoir fell out and allowed the Chinese to penetrate the Marine front, the front would not hold plain and simple.  Because each Marine knows the life of another is dependent upon his ability to succeed, it motivates Marines to push to ungodly lengths to accomplish.  The example of Dakota Meyer is perfect for this point as well.  He made 5 trips through the deadly kill zone to rescue his brothers.  He pushed through what he called, “The worst day of my life,” so that others people could make it home to their families, or so the families of the fallen could have a peace of mind.  There is a very select group of individuals that would go through a hell like that to save their brothers. Those people are called Marines.  Family in the Corps is forever as well, it does not end when your contract is up.  Because marines are put into such horrible situations, they become a very close group of individuals who work better than any other machine in the world.  Marines grow very close to their brothers in these times and those relationships don't just end.  They are too strong to end.  As well as the men you serve next to, you are connected to the Marines you may not know.  Because Marines are all brought up and molded the same way, there’s a deep down connection between them that is ever looming.  Whenever you may need a hand, you can always count on your brothers to lend you that extra hand.  I dream to become a Marine for this very reason.  To be part of something that is so much bigger than myself and to help stand for something so prestigious as the Marine Corps, It feels so rewarding.  The Rewards of the Marine Corps is what makes being a Marine my dream.


Being a Marine is an outstanding dream job because the respect you earn is so tremendous.  Also traveling the world and experiencing other cultures is beneficial to being a well-rounded person.  Lastly being a Marine puts you into a very select, elite group of individuals who are always there for one and another at any time, possibly even more so than your family.  The Marine Corps will be my family; my family has proven time and time again that the few and the proud will stand in harm’s way to protect others and uphold the highest moral standards for ourselves to inspire the world to follow the best.


The author's comments:

I am currently enlisted in the Marine Corps in the Delayed entry program.  I leave 2 weeks after I graduate for boot camp.