Am I There Yet? | Teen Ink

Am I There Yet?

January 27, 2016
By Anonymous

We hear it all the time, “nothing seems wrong, why are you so sad?” That can get annoying to hear- especially for some people- I can speak from experience. Whether it be adults or friends or relatives who asked, those few words can have a large impact. Many people all around the world are diagnosed with depression, but it is never a topic that is talked about comfortably or freely. I’ve chosen this topic out of  every other thing I could  possibly write about because it needs to be addressed and heard with an open mind.

What is depression? No definition on the internet or dictionary is accurate since no one can speak for everybody who has ever experienced it. There are emotions that people can relate to such as feeling lonely, overwhelmed, empty, or sometimes all three at once. The common running word is “sad.” Some days you feel hyperactive and other days you can barely move your legs to get out of bed. It's not always a person with a solemn expression or puffy eyes, it can be a hollow laugh or distant eyes. What needs to be understood by others is that it is not chosen or easy to overcome. It is the entanglement of so many emotions at once overflowing the mind and heart. It can take over one's body and view of life. There is not always a pinpointed reason for depression- some people are more prone to it. A terrible stereotype is that people with depression choose to be unhappy or now, it’s just because of the adolescence stage (since many teens now are trying to fight it). Wrong. The elderly can have it, too, but no one pays much attention to that. Depression is like quicksand- it seems like there’s no way out because the more you aggressively fight it, the more you sink, but if you don’t do anything at all, you’re stuck... How do you get out then?

It doesn’t happen overnight; the best things never do. Nor do they always go as expected. One’s way of thinking is always the biggest factor. There have been days when I’ve thought “who cares” and was almost willing to do nothing and continue life as is, but I felt like my head was below the quicksand and it was unbearable. I can’t remember the exact day when I woke up and had the first hopeful and happy thought in months, but I do remember getting out of bed on Saturdays and going for a walk alone with music flowing through my ears, and telling myself I had to eat if I wanted the headaches to stop. These small habits led to adjustments in my life, and eventually to larger ones. I got in the habit of training my mind to start finding the things I could change to help declutter it. After some time, I no longer felt as "stuck." I begun soul searching and had an epiphany, which is: my “mission” on earth is to help; the people, animals, and anything that needs help. I knew I had to start with myself if I were to help anyone. So I’m still working on that, and I now have something to keep me motivated. This took months to figure out; at first I just wanted to get out from the quicksand, but eventually I found something more meaningful.

There are many ways to get better (I prefer the term “getting even better”), but first you have to try yourself, even if it’s just a little because in the end, it’s you, and only you that can turn your life around. Depression is something no one should have to deal with, but unfortunately it’s real. This is where being a nice person comes into play, for a lack of better words. Most importantly, a nice person to yourself.

A walk with good music can change your day; if you are not dealing with depression and know someone who is, then be a nice person to them; maybe ask to meet up and go for a walk. If the answer is no, don’t force them, but instead go to them and merely talk- it will mean the world. Depression can feel like the world’s longest and most exhausting journey, but that does not mean it has to be a bad or lonesome one.


The author's comments:

I've dealt with depression for a long time and have only started to feel "better" recently. I want to tell people that they are not alone and that things can change, if they are willing to let them.