Essential Time | Teen Ink

Essential Time

February 6, 2016
By Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other
Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Every human start their life from babies, not knowing anything. As time goes, we all grow up and prosper. We learn more and more things that we didn't know in the beginning, and gain more and more experiences as life progresses. Since learning is the very building process of human knowledge, people that teach us things we learn are decisive properties of every person's characteristics. While there are all sorts of teachers out around the world, their teaching methods are important factors to the effi-ciency and accuracy of learning to each students.

Elementary school, for example, is the best time for one to start molding their personalities and knowledge. Being interested in what the world looks like, children in this period of time in life learns and adapts quickly from their surroundings. If a boy is sent into a school with lots of delinquents, it is likely that the boy would become a delin-quent themselves, too. If another boy is sent to a high class school with polite manner lessons, it is likely the boy would become a polite boy. Young children are often easily influenced by surroundings, and just spending a day or two in a certain environment would change their characteristics significantly.


Because of children's easily influenced character, education during this period of time is extremely important. People get mislead for life if education isn't done properly. When I was in second grade of elementary school, I had a hardworking math teacher. He tries his best at getting the students to understand each math concept and idea. However, while grading a test, the teacher noticed one of the students wrote 56 is made up of 2 tens, 6 fives, and 6 ones. Textbooks had always mentioned that 56 is made up of 5 tens, 1 five, and 1 one. Therefore, the teacher marked me wrong. When I received the test, the I realize what I had wrote was not "correct" according to the teacher. While the answer is technically correct, the teacher deemed it "wrong", since it is different from what the textbook had mentioned. Because of this incident, I made sure I wrote what the teacher wanted in every test in order to get a good grade. Alt-hough I noticed what I wrote was actually "correct" now, this event have become an ob-stacle to my math thinking skills. I often unconsciously apply the fact that "there is only one answer to each question", and fail to think from different perspectives. Now, my math processing speed is a lot slower than other people in my age.


"The smallest change can make the greatest difference." This rule applies espe-cially in people's childhood. Every small flaw in a child's surroundings has the ability to warp a person's characteristics. In my case, a single small mistake made me fail to build up a fundamental layer of knowledge in math. This is why every decision is pre-cious, and should be treasured with unimaginable thought.