A Loss | Teen Ink

A Loss

By vedgi BRONZE, Cobb, Wisconsin
vedgi BRONZE, Cobb, Wisconsin

When we lose a person important to you…you feel it. You feel it in every breath you take, in every step you walk. Looking back, they aren’t there anymore. They have vanished from your life completely, to a place beyond your reach. Some are more open and cry openly, having no shame in doing so. I wish I had that strength, instead I must cry behind closed doors…alone. Where no one can see or hear, where I am completely alone. It’s at moments like this that I feel the loss of the person the most, when I have my thoughts to myself. When you hear a song that reminds you of them your heart clenches in pain knowing you won’t ever see them again on this earthly plane, knowing you may never see them again after life. The pain, this grievous pain that stabs at you as if you’re being tortured is worse than any torture. It rips your walls down, it rips you from the inside out, completely destroying you. It molds you, the grief showing what everyone tries to hide at one time or another…weakness. This weakness that is so overwhelming it cuts through everything, making you the weak one. It is at these time, these trails that life throws at you that you learn who you can really trust. I plead that you don’t keep all of the pain inside, but allow yourself to be weak. For in doing so you’re strong, by allowing others to be strong for you. Let those around you help shoulder the weight, for it make it more bearable to you. By pushing those away, it will only hurt what relationship you hold with them. The fragile shell that you are at the time allows you to be more open, to let others be more open towards you and with you while you mourn.     

I wrote this piece several months back after I lost someone that was important to my life, a previous teacher. He's the reason I have a passion for History.