Young Marine | Teen Ink

Young Marine

By Baddestboyintheusa BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Baddestboyintheusa BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

. . .

When I was in 6th grade I was in the Young Marines. The Young Marines is a boot camp for kids at any age. My mom put me in because I was being naughty. I had do a lot of training and exercise.
Three years ago I went to a shooting range with the Young Marines. When I got there I could smell the smoke from the rifles at the shooting range. It was a warm sunny summer afternoon. The shooting range was a large open space but it had only two targets. A line was drawn with a stick in the dirt to mark where to stand.

I went with my step-dad, some other kids, and my sergeant from the young marines, I was nervous I would mess up. When it was my turn to go, the Sergeant handed me the 22 Rifle. When I had the gun in my hands it felt really heavy and cold. I put on the safety and he loaded the bullets. I heard the click of the bullets as he loaded the gun. I brought the gun up to my shoulder and took the safety off, aimed the gun at the round target, and pulled the trigger.

A loud bang pushed me backwards... and I missed the target. I thought, Shoot, I thought I would hit at least some part of the target and Wow! that gun has got some kick to it.

My sergeant said “It’s ok, a lot of people miss on the first try.”

I cocked the rifle again and aimed the gun at the target. I shot it and it hit the target- dead on in the center.
My sergeant said “Bullseye that was a good shot, Gabriel.”

I said, “thank you sir.”
After I got done with the second shot I gave my sargent the rifle and said “Treat it well sir.”

My sergeant said “Gabriel you may be quick on hand to hand combat in HQ but you still have some work to do.”

I went to my step-dad and told him that it was fun shooting but it’s hard to handle.
”My stepdad said “Gabe maybe some day we can go hunting for some deer.”

I told my step-dad “okay.”

Ever since I got out of the young Marines my step-dad and I would go in the woods and shoot some trees. Even though I missed the first time, this experience made me want to get better at target practice. It is something my step-dad and I do together with his guns. I want to hunt one day and practice helps me.

I was in the Young Marines a few years ago