Water | Teen Ink

Water

January 19, 2016
By CXwriter SILVER, West Windsor-Plainsboro, New Jersey
CXwriter SILVER, West Windsor-Plainsboro, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I always think of water as a blessing, whether I am splashing it on my face in a difficult situation, or drinking it out of a metal cup to experience the purity? and metallic coldness of it. Water also has a consistency that nothing else in this world can  maintain, no matter how contaminated it may be. What a pond reflects is always what we are: humans. We all share a basic necessity for hydration. In the eyes of water, we are equal.


For example, a custom that the Ibutan people had, that bound their society together until globalization, was to gather water each day at a public location, where people could communicate and bond with each other. In modern times, families discuss everyday matters at the dinner table with glasses of water, and politicians often have water before them at debates. Water is the stream that flows through society.


Despite the fact that this transparent substance truly benefits and sustains life on earth, it also possesses the ability to mutilate, to frighten. Floods sweep through wetlands and tsunamis devastate prodigious populations. Yet, in times of drought, water is what we all desire. What is most necessary is also the most powerful force, so powerful that even mankind cannot harness. Mankind can only appreciate water or fear it.


There are so many personalities of water that it seems almost alive, and it seems to have a life of its own. In reality, the lives that water has are those of the beings that depend upon it.