Life's Beauty | Teen Ink

Life's Beauty

By Baileejade BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
Baileejade BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota

Nature is the world around us. Not only is the forest full of color and beauty, but it's also full of life. I step off the bus and look at the forest in front of me, I spot an eagle flying over me. We are here for the next two hours for school to write our college English paper. I start walking down the trail with my friend Sydney. Wet, mossy maple leaves cover the ground like a carpet.

As I continue walking, I notice the forest is quiet and cold, but colorful. Each tree has their own set of vibrant colors and leaves that are not like any other. Each leaf is fragile and edged individually to perfection. I notice the eagle flying over the tall trees, and it instantly reminds me that my grandpa is watching over me.

My grandpa died in 2007 and his favorite obsession was eagles. Every time my family and I see one, we know it's grandpa watching over us and keeping us safe.

I reach towards the lake and find a wet, sappy log to sit on. While I sit here on this log, I'm aware of all the sounds around me. I hear voices talking, traffic moving, birds chirping, the calming movement of the water and the sound of my friend’s pencil moving across her paper.

Wrapped up in a blanket, I sit here stumped, not knowing what to write about and I'm mesmerized by the beautiful scenery around me. I notice all the different types of trees and how each is one is unique and not like any other. The blue sky reflects down on the calmness of the water, the loons relaxing in the distance. The whisper from the wind, is a singing choir and as it blows, slow ripples change the shape of the calm lake and the water rushes towards the direction of the wind. I look up, and see all the tall trees hanging over me with their bright beautiful fall colored leaves. The first colors you see are bright oranges and yellows, like lemons and oranges were falling out of the sky and dancing their way to the ground. As I close my eyes to take in the smell of the fresh nature air, I hear a little crackle in the tall grass beside me. It's a squirrel.

I watch the squirrel scatter off between two trees into the distance. I look up and notice two thick birch tall trees leaning on eachother. I smile and it instantly reminds me of my mom and dad. My dad’s kidneys are diseased and they are dying. He needs a new one as soon as possible. My family and I have been right by his side through everything during this difficult time. My dad is tough, strong and never gives up. My mom has been especially amazing and they lean on each other for everything. I continue to look at the trees, I see the parts of bark on the two trees and how each part is different and you can tell they're getting older as time passes on. This process with my dad has been a long one. First he had to lose a lot of weight for the Rochester Mayo Clinic to even accept him; it took months.

110 pounds later...

My mom and dad drove to Rochester so my dad could get tested. He came back 100% healthy and we waited a long time to hear the news. He made the transplant list.

My family and I couldn't be more happier. We were so grateful and a part of stress had been lifted off our chests. But it was still a long process. Even though he made the transplant list, we still have to wait for a donor or as my family likes to call it, a perfect match. This could take weeks, months or several years. My mom wanted to help my dad even more in any way she could. She wanted to find out if she was a perfect match, so she sent blood work down to Mayo, and a week later Mayo Clinic called us and told my mom “You’re a match.”

My mom, dad and I were screaming up and down. She told my dad the news that night when my dad got home from work. He cried and didn't know what to do. A huge smile appeared on his face.

As I sit here and continue to be amazed by the scenery around me, I notice the tall green grass. Each piece of grass is different in many ways and have their own soft sound. It reminds of all the people my family and I are surrounded by. Our family members, friends, neighbors, and everyone have been so supportive and caring, we couldn't be more thankful. Everyone has been amazing.

Time crept up on me. Two hours have gone by. I start to walk back on the trail that leads to the bus. I continue to be cold and look at the difference in each tree. I think back to my parents again and how we're still waiting for the Mayo Clinic to call us and tell us the dates for my mom to go down there, to make sure she's healthy enough to donate. If she is, my parents will get surgery and she will donate her kidney to my dad.

We drive off and I gaze out the window at the forest and I spot an eagle soaring around in the sky, I smile.