Untitled Document | Teen Ink

Untitled Document

By DragonBoater SILVER, Beaverton, Oregon
DragonBoater SILVER, Beaverton, Oregon

Why does Google just automatically call every new document “Untitled Document”, that makes it sound boring. Bland. Empty. Why do we always speak of things in a literal sense? Yes, I know it’s easier, but easier almost never means it is the better option. Why not call an untitled document, what it could be? An unwritten song, a bill waiting to be put it into words, a way to scrap the old and restart with a new. Why leave it so dull and boring? Maybe so that we can give it our personal touch. Maybe so the artist can deepen the meaning of the lyrics. Maybe so that the bill can be written in a way so that nobody is left out. Maybe it’s so that this new work can truly be set apart from the author's past.
As I am typing this now, I am leaving this document as “Untitled Document”, not because I'm trying to be funny or ironic. But because I feel like the stories write themselves, and me as a person do not write them. I only start with a few words, an idea at most, and see where it takes me. If you need a better visual, think of it this way; there are large strings of words floating around in the atmosphere. When one floats into our heads, we have thought up a new idea. As the group of words floats through your mind they don't have a name, just meandering through. If a thought leaves before you’re done reading them, it’s like an incomplete thought. Some are just silly; we call those random thoughts or jokes. But, some are pure genius. Our “Nobel Prizes in literature” books.
Some books never get written down, whether it be because the author doesn't have the tools, doesn’t “feel” like it, or is just too scared to speak their mind to their peers. But, if a few words come along, and no one takes the extra effort to write them down, that story is lost. The death of a grand idea that could have changed the whole of society.  Only that one person would have even know it was there.No one would have known about its importance. That it could’ve changed something. That we lost the key to a door, that can now never be opened. The worst part is, this happens millions of times every day. I am leaving this document as “Untitled Document” to pay tribute to all of the books out there, all of the articles, every sentence, every thought, every word, that never got written down or remembered, because some of them were the words that this world needed the most.
When I started writing this, I felt like I was going to go off on some tangent or rant about how Google is stupid. That large corporate companies are controlling our thoughts, but now I realize that is for another time. This piece is about how writing allows us to have open minds, and to not constrain ourselves inside of society's box. Words allow you to stay open to new ideas, to shift your way of thinking. Without writing, we may not have even evolved. Writing can make it easier to communicate our thoughts and ideas to one another. Closed minds keep us from reaching our full potential. While staying open allows us to do things we could never imagine.