Losing Home | Teen Ink

Losing Home

I’m walking down the aisle i can see my dad is so happy to finally be here as were everyone else who are on the plane. I am so excited, i have a feeling in my stomach i never had before. I keep wiping my face i feel sweat everywhere but at the same time i couldn’t stop smiling as i walk out of the plane i see a beautiful sign it’s big and red and it says “Welcome To Armenia” my eyes filled with tears of joy i can’t believe after 8 years of leaving my country i was finally back, back to where all my family is, where i really belong and where people really do understand me. My dad always used to tell me to never forget where I’m from to never forget my culture and to never forget that i have family here i remember that conversation like it was yesterday.

<<<<<<<<<<                       >>>>>>>>>>

“I wanted my children to grow up in there own homeland i wanted you guys to understand what it means to be Armenian,” Dad complained.
“ Were not American!” He started to raise his voice.  “I know you guys won’t forget because your Aghabekyan, our blood is pure Armenian.” He said with a smile. Me and my brother just stood there listening but that day really changed my perspective on alot.

<<<<<<<<<<                >>>>>>>>>>>

Every step i took i knew i was getting closer and closer to my family that i haven’t seen in 8 years, and that really scared me. I didn’t know what they would think of me, last time they saw me i was 3 ft tall my hair was down to my hips and i carried a bear everywhere i went. Now I am a 16 year old girl with short hair speaking 3 different

languages and an I Phone in my hand 24/7. While dad is too busy trying to find his passport i walked towards the big window and for the first time in a long time i saw my beautiful country the window was so big it gave me a clear view i saw everything, the bridge with all the cars going 65 mph, the beautiful buildings, Armenian letters everywhere and even though it took me a while to read a word i still loved it and i saw people hugging and greeting each other which gave me chills up and down my legs because i knew in a couple minutes that would be me i would see my uncle and i would start crying because of how happy i am. After dad finally found his passport we started walking towards security, people were sitting in square boxes all locked up making sure no one can get in.
“ Next! “ The women said with a serious tone.

“My dad walked towards her, pulled out his passport and handed it to her.” I knew how much he wanted to smile because he was so excited but he never smiles my dad is a serious man he's not sad but he doesn't smile. We finally got done with security and it was about that time I was sweating even more and my face turned the color of my red suitcase, I was too nervous I put my bags down, looked around for the restroom and walked towards it. My dad waited for me for a good minute I was taking my time because I couldn't calm down just thinking about seeing my uncle I was nervous i was many emotions at once. I walked out the restroom and closed the door silently. Then I started looking around. Me and my dad we couldn't find my uncle with so many people and so many voices everywhere it was hard considering my uncle is only 4 inches taller than me it was hard to see if he was there. For a second I though my uncle forgot and it devastated me but I keep telling myself that he didn't, I felt that he was in the room. I sat down on my suitcase, looked at my phone, and put my head down because I was sad. He wasn't there none of my relatives were, I got angry you could see the smoke coming out of my ears, I didn't know what to do. I sat silently waiting for somebody I know to show up. Then I saw my dad just standing there and I felt terrible because I knew he lost hope too I can see from dark brown eyes that he was devastated. He walked back and forth quickly like it would change something. Usually when my dad saw me with my head down he would always try and make jokes anything to make me feel better but he couldn't do that now because he was more devastated than me.

“Dad I know he's here we just have to wait a little bit longer, there is a time difference between us maybe he got the wrong timing.” I mumbled without looking at his eyes because I didn't even know if that was true that would be an excuse if anything.

“Yea you are probably right… Let's just go find a taxi we will surprise your grandma.” He spoke very silently, I knew he was upset. Seeing my dad upsetting the saddest thing I can go through me and my dad have a very close relationship and when he's upset I feel my heart shattering into pieces.

We got up, grabbed our suitcases and walked towards the doors. We were both very silent and we passed by 4 taxi signs we both saw them we just wanted to wait a little bitter longer maybe someone would show up.

“Oh wait I have to call your mom and tell her we landed wait right there.” He claimed I knew that was just an excuse to stay in the airport a little longer and wait.

“Okay dad take your time” I responded.

I looked over my left shoulder and just stared at a huge airplane, it was sunny and you could see people outside sweating and then something magical happened. I looked over my left shoulder there was no one there and then I looked over my right shoulder and no one was there again then I looked straight ahead, then looked down and quickly looked back up. I saw him! It was one of those moments when you looked at something turned around and looked back at it so fast because you could not believe what it was. It was the perfect minute. It was my uncle staring at me walking straight towards me. I got chills up and down my arms and legs tears were burning my eyes it felt like my heart stoped for a second. I walked towards him so fast, put down my bag and hugged him for a while. His hug was warm it was missing. He hugged me like I was his own daughter. I knew he was here I felt it all this time I knew he didn't forget he was looking for us just like we were looking for him. When I was hugging him I felt his heart beat so fast just like mine.

“Late as always my brother?” My dad asked jokingly with a smile. Those smiles were rare but I loved them.

My uncle count speak because he saw his brother for the first time in 9 years it was hard for him they just hugged for a while. They didn't want to let go before our family came to America my uncle and my dad did everything togather, they were togather every day and it was hard for them to not see each other in 9 years. This moment was one of the best moments in my life and there's no way of forgetting it not even if I tried.