Overcoming death | Teen Ink

Overcoming death

Death is something that everyone goes through at some point in their life whether it's a friend or family, it is always hard for them. Eventually you will have to overcome it, not for get it, but look past it. There isn't much you can do about it. you can think of all the good experiences you had with them. It's hard to move past death, it will never be one hundred percent perfect, but it will get easier to handle.

My grandparents were always very healthy people. My grandpa was really into the outdoors he loved being outside. He would always hunt every deer season weather gun are bow season. He was pretty good at it also. Thats one of the main reason it was hard to see him with Alzheimer's. The progression of the disease was really fast it went from being very minor memory changes to very severe problems like forgetting how to walk and having trouble talking. During the end stages of Alzheimer's, my Gramma got cancer. As it progressed it spread to her pancreas.

As my grandpa got alzheimer's it seemed like minor short term memory loss. Which it was at first, it was hard to tell in the beginning and wasn't that noticeable. It was like nothing had changed. He was still able to go hunting and fishing and other outdoor activities. But over time the first real sign was when he almost burned his house down when he was cooking. After that incident we noticed he could no longer live by himself. He was hesitant about having to leave because he thought he could still function on his own. He wasn't that bad off still he could do almost everything still. He was still driving, but we thought it was best for him to move in with my uncle. Not long after he wasn't able to drive. He still was doing pretty well though only major task were becoming hard for him but he thought he was perfectly fine and was able to drive it was hard to get him to understand why he couldn't do these things anymore. But he was still loved being outdoors and could do almost everything he wanted to.

The doctor thought he had Alzheimer's longer than we thought. They said that he  had it for quite some time they said it could had started when there was a dramatic event like the time his wife died in a car crash. About five or six years later his symptoms began to advance. He was put in a assisted living  facility he was starting to get really bad it was hard to watch such an active guy have to sit all day in the living facility but it got to hard to handle his symptoms. He began to forget have to talk he was extremely hard to understand as the disease got worse it got really hard to watch him in there. But until the very end he recognized most of us until it got really bad and he would only recognize different people every time. Especially when he forgot how to walk it was hard because all he could do is lay in bed and wait for someone would come over and walk him in a wheelchair.

Eventually he stopped eating and they would have to try to get him to eat. To keep him alive. He eventually we moved him to a nicer place. That new more and had a Alzheimer's care. He began to like his new place better and the nurses better. As the days went on we had noticed that some days were better than others. The best day with him was his birthday we all gathered up and went to go see him and he had one of his best days ever since he got the disease. He was excited for his birthday he would talk to him it was almost like he didn't have the disease. Towards the end he got sick. He got pneumonia and during the day before his last we were all there and that night he passed.

My gramma, I thought was perfectly healthy when I was going through this with my grandpa. But it turns out that she had got cancer and it eventually spread to her pancreas. But we had spent a lot of time with her when she was going through this we got to play monopoly and all sorts of board games that was something she really enjoyed doing. Any board game that we had we would play that day. Even before she got cancer we would get the new monopoly when it came out and we would play it for hours at a time. It was really fun.

We would have a ton of fun. she did start to get worse and worse and eventually she wouldn't eat anything at all just like my grampa. there were very few things she would eat like a mocha frappe from Mcdonalds. my dad every time we went he would ask Mcdonald's for the biggest one that they could make but she wouldn't ever finish it. it was hard to watch her get worse and worse she was always fun to be around. She was going through all sorts of treatment and we would try to be there whenever we could.

The hardest part about this whole thing is that how fast it progressed my grandpa had Alzheimer's for years and she hadn't had it a few months before she past. One day she was able to do everything and the next she couldn't do almost anything. She quit eating and a few days later she died in her sleep. And it was hard to have both of my grandparents to die in one summer. I didn't think that either one of them would have go through these diseases they seemed so full of life until they diseases brought them down piece by piece.

It was hard to overcome that summer of 2015 but the more you thought about it the easier it became. That summer was easier than I thought it would be if you think about it my grandpa was the kind of guy that loved to be outside and if he had the choice he wouldn't had wanted to be in that assisted living facility anyway I think he had no life all he had as a room with a few guys in it and that was it. One way I could move past my gramma was having cancer made her barely leave her bed and she loved to hang out with her friends and play games and the cancer was preventing her from doing those kind of things. That's how I overcame that summer and all the years without them.

abyhussein said...
on Jan. 4 2016 at 11:55 am
It's nice to know that there r other teens who care.
Nice points by the way.