What I Overcame | Teen Ink

What I Overcame

December 11, 2015
By Anonymous

Everyone has overcome something in their life. You might still have problems to this day like I do. It can be really hard to overcome something, but sometimes it is really easy. In my case it was really hard. I overcame my first sister. You might think it is great to have a sister, but it really wasn’t. It made me realize, that I have feelings and that I am not always going to be happy. Overcoming events can be done but losing my first sister is something I have to live with for the rest of my life.

   

I am just a thirteen year old girl who has experienced a loss. It was my first ever sister. This happend when is was six years old. I was the only child in my household. It was kinda lonely inside my house because both of my parents were working. My mom usually at work during the day and my dad worked at night. My dad slept when my mom came home so he was tired but he still played with me. I also had neighbors. I played with them many times. I hung out with my neighbors so much I even had dinner with them sometimes. They were jolly times but deep down I had something inside of me. All of my neighbors has siblings. I wanted one two but I didn’t know my mom was already pregnant. My mom waited a while to tell until you can see her baby bump. My did that so I can understand that the bump is my sibling. I haven’t told them I wanted a sibling but that was okay because my mom was already having one. It was a while until my parents could tell me what it was. They brought me along to see what it was. When I was little I didn’t know what the doctors used to see the baby, but now I know. They put some gel on my mom’s stomach. I thought it looked nasty when they spread it around with this stick thing that glows at the bottom and it magically appears on a screen. Then they typed a body part on the screen that they see. After two hours that felt like a million hours, they figured out what gender the baby was. I was so excited because it was a girl. Although I was excited, I wondered if my new sibling would like me. I blew it off but it was just a tough. I just had to wait for my new sister and I couldn’t wait.


While my parents were waiting, they came up with names. My parents didn’t ask me what they should name my sister because I would probably say something like hotdog or Scooby Doo because I was still six. That was a good thing because a girl named Hot dog would not be fun but it would be unique. On June 14th, 2008 my sister was born. I was at my grandma’s because I would be very impatient and I was not old enough to be with my parents for multiple reasons. I didn’t know what was going on so I was probably watching cartoons while my grandparents did all the worrying. Back then I watched numerous cartoons because that was my favorite thing to do.  After a while, I went to go see my parents with gobs of excitement. I was ready for my new sibling that I could play with forever but sadly that is not what happend. I walk into the room where my family was placed. My felicitous smile turned into an unfortunate frown. My mom was crying which I have seen a few times but what really got me to realize what was going on when I saw my dad cry. I never seen my dad cry because it was not him but after, I figured out what was going. He had a reason to cry. My first sister named Lillian had passed away. I ran to my mom and started crying. I feel really bad. I had so many thoughts going through my mind like was it my fault or did she didn't want to be part of my family. When I asked my mother those kind of questions she said “none of those things where true.” My family and I had a bumpy road ahead.


My sister death lead to many good and bad things. It left a mark on our family. We spent more family time to try to fill the memories we wished to have with Lilly. After the funeral for Lilly, we went on still thinking about her and moving to something else. It was hard for me at night sometimes because I wanted a sibling to read with and play dolls with but none of that happened. I asked my mom one day what I should do to overcome this very sad event. At the time I didn't really think my mom knew how to get overcome this loss of a family member but I still asked her. I could of asked my dad because his ex-wife had a miscarriage but I felt like my would understand my feeling a because she is a girl and might have experienced these sad feelings. My mom said that she might not be visible but she is still here. My mom even gave me the hippo that was supposed to be hers but my parents kept it for me as a remembrance. I took the hippo almost everywhere I went.  In the house I treated it like it like it was baby. I still have the hippo today next to my bed so she is always with me. The hippo is spongy and fluffy that is like silk. I am very grateful to have it.


Overcoming events can be done but losing my first sister has been hard. It has been very hard to overcome the sad thought of losing my sister but I couldn’t forget. That part that has not let go of me is why she passed away. The doctors could not find a reason why and it was tough for our new family. My parents just got married a few months ago and this was not helping their relationship. We still came together and went through this bumpy roller coaster. Although I was getting through this, numerous events happened. My last name changed and I started my first year at a new elementary school as a first grader. I made friends like Jill that helped me be happy. That helped with the situation. That is how I have delt with my first ever sister passing away.