Inside Intel ISEF (International Science and Engineering Fair) | Teen Ink

Inside Intel ISEF (International Science and Engineering Fair)

November 29, 2015
By HaniyaShareef BRONZE, Port St Lucie, Florida
HaniyaShareef BRONZE, Port St Lucie, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

1,700 students, 75 countries, and 4 million dollars in prizes; Intel ISEF (International Science and Engineering Fair) had me in complete and utter astonishment. From green energy to robots, almost any topic you thought was impossible became possible. It’s a fair made of idea, and possibility, with the word “limit” nonexistent within its dictionary.


Walking through these aisles of innovation I became overwhelmed by projects towering over me, not only physically but mentally. Sometimes the only thoughts lingering in my head were “ How did you come up with that ”. Or “I can’t even pronounce that word”. It reminded me of the wonders of mankind. It reminded me that our ideas are limitless. It reminded me I am limitless.


However, these strolls down the aisles weren’t consumed strictly by science. They were consumed by culture, integration, and interaction. I had a mission at Intel ISEF: to take a picture with one person from each country. My photos consist of a girl from china, wearing a traditional dressing, a boy from Egypt with his mother in a head scarf wishing him good luck, a Japanese girl speaking and laughing with a translator, a Arab boy reciting his speech nervously in his head, and so much more. It was a collage of images that represent the very beauty of Intel.


By far, however, my favorite part was the Grand Award Ceremony. This is the moment everyone is waiting for. Every single finalist is in one bustling room, filled with anticipation, nerves, and excitement. These nervous chatters, are only halted for a second as awards are announced, and almost in an instant, these moments of silence, are eradicated when the finalist called runs from their seat to the stage, with every part of their body illuminated.


I was lucky enough to experience this first hand when my project was called for winning 3rd internationally in the section of Plant Science. In my project, I used an organic solution to tackle the Mile-a-Minute Weed. This weed has become a huge problem in Florida and around the world. My solution was extremely effective in killing the weed, while preserving the plants around it; maintaining the ecosystem.  It took me about 2 minutes to realize they called my name, and immediately I ran from my seat to the stage with each muscle in my body shaking. When I got on stage I took a selfie with all the students that had just experienced what I had, and the moment I captured was one that could never be replaced. My phone consistently rang in my hand as my friend texted me “You made it, a freshman got 3rd at Intel, all the hard work, all the pressure, it paid off”. That was a moment I wouldn’t trade for anything.


Being a freshman and for me to be able to compete, and win, are a true rarity. Many people only experience both of these occurrences as seniors, or juniors, but seldom as freshman. Your perspective on the world completely changes when you attend Intel ISEF. The girl across from me was from Ireland, the one 2 booths to my left from Saudi Arabia, one next to me  from China and each and every one of us had one thing in common: a great idea.


Programs like Intel ISEF are out there to encourage young students to take an initiative in their world and to promote creative problem solving through the realms of science, technology, mathematics, and much more. It allows students from around the world, an equal chance to prosper and create a future for themselves and the world.


The author's comments:

I am currently a sophomore in high school, and not only am i interested in science and engineering, but I am also very involved in dance, sports, and music. I hope to further my writing career, and change the world in any way possible!