Cry of the Ghetto | Teen Ink

Cry of the Ghetto

By jaydaug BRONZE, Sacramento, California
jaydaug BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier die but once." -Tupac Shakur

Barbara Sizemore said, “The cry of the ghetto is being heard by a nation with its fingers in its ears.” Tupac grew up in the “ghetto.” His mom was addicted to drugs. Tupac was a thug, who sold drugs and was involved in violence. Tupac is worth studying in high schools because he is a great example of many young adults today. Tupac was a poet. He was also bullied as a young adult for many reasons. He is a perfect example of what kids today should not be.

Tupac was a poet. He encouraged everyone around him to start reading books. That is one of the many reasons his poetry had gotten better. The more Tupac read the better his poems became. Tupac has a collection of poems about love, violence, and everyday struggles. One of his many famous poems is “The Rose That Grew from Concrete.” This poem is a metaphor about a “rose” proving nature wrong by growing from the concrete and learning to live on its own. I believe this poem can be understood by many teenagers today.

Tupac was bullied as a young adult. He was bullied because he was poorer than all the little kids. He didn’t have the same clothing brands and he didn’t look like the other kids, so they all picked on him. In today’s society young adults are going through the same struggles, and Tupac went through this 30 years ago. Many kids can relate to his endeavor.

Tupac is a perfect example of what kids today should not be. That may sound ridiculous, given I said Tupac is worth studying. Tupac was a high school dropout. He was also involved in violence and drugs. Being involved in these things caused him to go to prison and eventually be shot and killed. Young adults can learn from his mistakes and hopefully make the right choices.

Tupac is worth studying in high schools because he is a great example of many young adults today. Tupac was a poet. He was also bullied as a young adult for many reasons. He is a perfect example of what kids today should not be. Mason Cooley states, “’Be faithful to your roots’ is the liberal version of ‘stay in your ghetto.’”