Asthma | Teen Ink

Asthma

November 18, 2015
By Asia_Monay GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Asia_Monay GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I hate having asthma it's one of those sicknesses I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy.


I have had asthma all my life and I can say it’s no fun not being able to breathe. Asthma is a chronic disease and there’s many ways it can flare up.

My asthma flares up during season changes no matter what the season maybe. Having an asthma attack feels like breathing through a straw but someone squeezing the other end imagine that ? My asthma causes me to lose a lot of school because sometimes my asthma gets out of control. I sometimes have to stay in the hospital due to my asthma and its no fun. People can die from asthma because sometimes it can’t be controlled and you can start losing breath faster.

There are 3 zones of asthma Green = Good, Yellow = I do not feel good, Red = I feel AWFUL.
If you reach the yellow zone you should start taking your medicines immediately so you don't go into the red zone. If you go into the red zone you should call 911 right away because there’s nothing you can do to control this. Asthma affects other people differently I know when i'm having a asthma attack i'm not in the mood and I don't like eating. When you have asthma it is important to stay hydrated drink plenty of fluids even if you don’t feel like drinking anything at all because you don’t want a ton of iv’s in your arms.


Having asthma comes with a lot of medicines some of the medicines I take are Advair (inhaler),
Albuterol (inhaler),and ProAir (inhaler), Saline and sometimes a steroid Prednisone. There are a ton of medicines for asthma but those are just some of mine. Asthma also has its triggers some of these triggers are Dust, Pollen, Cigarettes, and Pets but that list can go longer. I have a peak flow meter is measures how much air you’re taking before and after you take medicines to help you breathe. You do the peak flow 3 times and your highest score out of the 3 times should be your last one and the best one.

Asthma is a very serious chronic disease that is terrible and it can be tolerated but not cured.You can prevent someone from getting asthma in their youth by not smoking around them. I wish asthma had a cure because I would cure myself and every other person/kid with this disease like me.