Goodbye, Lucy | Teen Ink

Goodbye, Lucy

November 11, 2015
By EricaRB SILVER, Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
EricaRB SILVER, Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My nerves are jumping as the car pulls closer to Lucy’s house. The silence is killing me, but I don’t know how to break it. When the engine is silenced, I can almost hear my sister’s heartbeat.


“Okay guys, we’re here,” Amelia’s mom utters.
I draw in a deep breath and yank my seatbelt off. All three of us girls pop our eyes open.  When I step outside, the brightness makes me squint. I put my hands over my head to form a visor.


The door suddenly opens. “Hello guys!” Lucy cheerfully shouts out, masking the pain I know she must be feeling because she would soon be moving far away.


When I see Lucy’s welcoming smile, my body relaxes. Amelia is the first one to greet Lucy with a hug, and then my sister and I. We stroll out to the back yard, and my eyes widen like the joy of being a five year old again. I scan the yard, finding a pool, a bouncy house, and a cotton candy machine that makes my mouth drool. However, when I notice the sea of people, I begin to sweat and my palms grow clammy. Knowing I won’t be seeing Lucy and Josh after today breaks my heart.


“Wanna’ go swimming?” Amelia suggests.


I shrug my shoulders and continue on with my gloomy day.


By the time supper arrives, we are all starving. Lucy’s mom yells to the crowd of people to let them know the buffet is ready. I can hear my stomach scream for food, but my mind indicates that I will just throw it up.


Nor wanting to spoil the party, I force myself to take a plate anyways. Lucy waves me down by her table, and we begin our feast. It turns out that my grief at losing one of my best friends has lied to me, and I am hungry after all.
When the clock ticks seven, the room grows as silent as the inside of a tomb. Everybody’s eyes are now focused on the dispirited Lucy and Josh. This almost feels surreal. My eyes start to fill up with water, and I can feel a huge lump in my throat like after you dry swallow a pill. Lucy bursts into tears. We all gather around, comforting her with hugs. I feel the first tear fall down my face and reach my chin. Right before I wipe it away.
"It'll be alright," I gesture, even though I know it won't be.


"It's time to go guys," Amelia's mom whispers, putting her hand on my shoulder.


I could not hold back my emotions; my lips are trembling and my body feels weak. Cries filter the air. Me, my sister, and Amelia walk outside with Lucy, cherishing the old memories and holding on to our past together.
Lucy's blue eyes glisten as I give her my last hug. When I feel my teary eyes begin to blur, I run in the car. At this point, it is devastating to look at her.


We pull out of the driveway, and I wave my last goodbye. My head drops down into the palms of my hands. I begin to sob as the car drives away.


“I will always miss you, my dear friend Lucy.”