Roger's Send Off | Teen Ink

Roger's Send Off

By Ian_Lol SILVER, Derwood, Maryland
Ian_Lol SILVER, Derwood, Maryland

The car ride back was dreary. I tried not to think about what had just happened, but inevitably I started sobbing on the car window. My long fought tears started rolling down the window mirroring the rain drops on the other side. The three hours on the way back seemed to last forever. When we finally got home, a place that used to be so full of excitement, felt cold and desolate

After a couple of days I began to get back in to my normal groove, but carrying around this wound that would stay with me for a long time. I thought every day about Roger’s departure from us. My reflections always seemed to bring about my own personal rainstorm.

“ Beep! Beep!” My alarm went off. I arose from my bed like a mummy awaking from the grave. Exhausted. I hadn’t fallen asleep the night before because of what was going through my mind. The anxiety of today had been built up inside me for a long time, the day I had been dreading for so long.

Walking out of my room I heard voices downstairs. My mom was nagging my brother about his laziness, hah! Nothing new. I was now beginning to understand why she was pestering him as she said the word, “college”. The word that evoked so many mixed emotions. My brother was finally leaving.
      We sat at the breakfast table having our last meal together just as the sun was beginning to rise. Roger wasn’t talking much nor were my parents. Like me, Roger didn’tfinish his plate of food, which was strange because he usually can eat a horse.
Above the kitchen table were pictures of our family from when we were just babies to the present. I stared blankly at the memories my family has made. I looked at the photo of when Roger and I were on a mountain in Maine, the time when I had nearly fallen to my death, sliding on some rocks, but Roger had saved me. Now it seemed like the “fantastic four”, a name given by my grandma before passing away, were about to be broken up.

Loading the last bag in, we hit the road. Roger said, “ I can’t believe that I’m finally leaving… I’m not going to see this house for a long time.” Looking at the sky filled with scattered clouds, I thought yeah, a LONG time until we see you. My dad stated how it wont be that long, finding consolation from my Dad, Roger put on his usual smirk that he always molds together, trying to hide the pain. 

Soon speeding down the highway, Roger and my Dad were already dozing off in their seats as if they were dreaming; I however, tried to stay in this nightmare. Treasuring every moment I had in the car with Roger, but inevitably I lost the fight. I also fell asleep.

We arrived at Penn State, home of the Nittany Lions, where we hoped Roger was going to spend four amazing years.  The sky was filled with these tumultuous clouds as the first raindrops began to fall. We pulled into the space where Roger was to unload his belongings.

As we unloaded his boxes the rain started to come down in heavy sheets.
“Let’s get inside! We can’t get my stuff wet! It’s the Flaeschier Hall, over there!” Roger exclaimed. We bolted in the direction he pointed. Flaeschier Hall seemed to loom above me. It was massive. After going up the stairs, being directed by Roger, who wanted to appear confident, we found his room and helped him get settled.

“ I can’t believe this is my room for the next year, I’ve been waiting for this moment for so long.” I couldn’t answer him for I was terrified of breaking down in front of him and my parents. I bit my tongue; the rain began to thrash against the window.  The rhythmical beating of the rain mimicked the beating of my heart, rapid and sporadic.

Finally finished with unpacking, we were directed by Roger’s RA to walk him to Pollock Hall where we would soon part ways. As we exited the building nearing our final destination, I felt each step becoming heavier and heavier. This enormous weight in the pit of my stomach began to augment like that of the darkening clouds. A feeling so intense that words could barely describe it. Maybe it was what it feels like to lose a loved one. We turned the corner and we were soaking wet, water drenched everywhere, but there stood Pollock Hall. It was like the end of a race, time seemed to fly by as we approached the finish line. First place’s prize was our separation. We some how managed to come in faster than Bolt.

“Well I guess this is it guys,” Roger whispered, clearing his throat. I jumped. How could this be the end! We just got here! But no it was true, my mom began to tear up as if some of the rain filled her eyes, and then my dad. He began to cry, I was shocked. I’ve never seen him cry before. The both of them went in to hug my older brother, the brother I had fought with, hung out with, and done everything together with; My best friend.  They both moved and it was my turn, I hugged him and treasured these final moments.

Roger trying to stay strong said, “ Have a good year bro, I love you”. I responded with something similar, barely able to get the words out of my trembling mouth. We looked at each other’s faces, and that was that. The send off of my brother into college. A flash flood.

I tried to think about everything that had happened positively which seemed like the right thing to do. The rain had cleared and I began to reflect on this experience. A life long sense of how important family coursed through my veins. They’ll always be beside you, no matter how hard the rain is coming down. I thought about how I would from now on cherish every moment with my family, whether it be picking pumpkins for Halloween or simply just watching the television.

And whenever I get a message from my bro saying “yo whats’up dawg”, my day always seems to get a little bit better.

When thinking about what to write about that has impacted me in my life, I immediately realized the loss of my brother who recently went off to college was a perfect example. This experience really made me start to appreciate the time I spend with people around me, throughout my writing I tried to emphasize the fact that with Roger leaving how upset I was going to be. I hope that the audience of my narrative draws from my experiences and cherishes not only the people around them but also the little things in life, like a simple text message. Another perspective or lesson that I also tried to incorporate into this work is a message of how even though people leave you geographically in life that they will and can be left with you in your heart.