Fervent Feelings | Teen Ink

Fervent Feelings

I wrote my first sentence as a small child, fresh out of diapers. Even before that, I used my pink, sparkly pen with the fuzz on one end to try and copy outlandish and foreign looking letters from my favorite book, Heidi. I have long since realized that the most important ingredient to any type of writing is EMOTION. Anyone, be it an author, carpenter, painter, surgeon can write if they feel emotion. You might ask: Doesn’t everyone feel emotion?

Yes, everyone feels emotion. But true, strong, raw emotion only comes as often as a blue moon.  Usually, raw emotion comes when something significant in your life occurs. Well, it doesn’t always have to be something significant, but something that struck a match inside your heart, your brain, something that caused fire to course through your body. Ninety percent of the time, that feeling, that emotion is RAGE. PURE RAGE steams out of your ears like at a Spanish bullfighting arena. You are the bull, and everything around you is a blaring red.

In teenagers this emotion occurs most often after a fury-filled argument with your parent(s), guardian(s), uncle(s), aunt(s) or someone else close to you. During this, a chain reaction begins to burst inside of you when you see their anger or rage. It’s even more unpleasant when you begin the fight, or you’re already feeling irate to begin with.

But that spark, that ignition needed to light or begin an annihilation using a petroleum doused hose spread around the world begins with a simple strike of a lighter. And once that rage inflates inside your body like an enormous hot air balloon, it must be let out somehow. Or else it will erupt inside, like a volcano, damaging everything inside of you to the core, causing ripple effects all over.

The best way to utilize that rage is to channel it into something that will benefit you, instead of harm you and twist you, as if your brain is inside the rattle of a baby’s toy that has been shaken too much.

Boxers use the pure madness to beat the life out of their next conquest, or punch their punching bag so hard that it falls down with a loud, satisfying thud. As an individual with a black belt in karate, I know exactly how this is. I’ve been asking for a punching bag for years now, for I know the moments when you just want to punch and punch and never, ever stop. As I am more knowledgeable now, I know to steer that anger towards something productive, such as writing.

As I said, anyone can write. But for those who are not familiar with writing, or those who do not enjoy it, fear not. During a massacre with their parents, many of my friends have written short anger paragraphs and sent them to me for critiques. They sometimes describe anger in itself, a red angry demon, or suicide. The sentences may be choppy, the word language unpretentious, and the grammar and conventions horrendous, but the pure emotion that oozes out between the lines of that writing is unmistakable. It is just the triggering point that can begin an entire war.

Though most are, not all raw emotions are caused from anger. The next common feeling is sadness. Fortunately, I have not been one of those people to experiences tragedies very often. This past summer, my grandfather’s youngest brother passed away. I touched his freezing dead body, so life-like it looked as if he was simply taking an afternoon nap. I watched the individuals I perceived to be the strongest in my life, break down completely. I heard the cries and the wails of the people closest to him and they pierced my heart like a glass shard. I smelled the strong scent of ashes and dust, while he was cremated, as well as a strong whiff of regret. I have tasted the food during the meal on the first night of his death, plain and bland, the tears of all the men and women, the essence of sadness and longing was felt on each and every drop.

This piece was inspired by the death of my grandfather and another serious incident that occurred in my life recently. I felt pure emotion take over, and this was the result.

aditipallod GOLD, Breinigsville, Pennsylvania

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."

Confucius

Oops, never finished. The ending WAS actually there, but I was tailoring it for something else, an article that was supposed to be 650 words, so I had to get rid of a lot, and then when I submitted here, I completely forgot to add to the original. Thanks for the insight, I'll definitely be looking into your suggestions and fixing things. And I love that it was long, they are my favorite kind of comments to read. :) Anyways, sure, I'll check out your work too. Love, Aditi

Confucius

Hey Emily! Hahaha, of course I'm not hurt or mad! I completely agree with what you said. The main emotion that fueled THIS article was anger, so I felt that it was appropriate that way. I probably should have discussed other emotions, and in fact, I might do that right now. Th

ThisEmilyDa1 SILVER, BF, New Mexico

only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile
-Albert Instien
the only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

No really don't be hurt or mad

ThisEmilyDa1 SILVER, BF, New Mexico

-Albert Instien

Really nice work :) I agree with you to some extant. I agree that one of the key characteristics in a writer is his/her emotion, which shines through their style and tone. I think one of the hardest parts of writing is generally converting thoughts into feelings back to thoughts and displaying those thoughts and mostly feelings on a piece of paper. Finding the right words at the right time to bring the right emotion out of the reader, which is why I agree that emotion is important to learn to write. But you just pointed out one emotion that can spark creativity in a writer mainly: anger. I know that you said a little more about other emotions, but let me just say this. I know that anger and sadness is what sparked a lot of people to start writing, Like you said. However, even if you started with anger everyone eventually moves on to other emotions. And I believe that even if it's your only motive for writing you will eventually at least want to portray other emotions to readers. Hate, anger, sadness, intense mourning, love, revenge, passion, faith, hope, true genies happiness, lust, pride, concern, stress, etc. all of these can (and should) be portrayed in everyone's writing, despite what emotion generally caused you to write at all. Not to mention the emotions that you can't quite put a name on or ones that are mix of sorts. Writing becomes pleasurable to those that mean what they say, so yeah. Second of all, I think this beautiful writing. I love the little tiny details that make the story relatable and powerful, I especially like the sentance about copying forieng symbols from Heidi. I also like what you said about the spark, ignition needed to light or begin an anhillation using a patrolium doused hose spread around the whole world begins with the simple strike of a lighter. A bit of cliche? Maybe, but I think its acceptable. Maybe make the ending a little more complete too. But Over all I like that, and I wasn't trying to be rude about using different emotions, I was just pointing that out, it starts different for all. By the way would you mind checking out some of my work, stories. Just not Fred is dum, definettly needs major editing. Thanks for sharing. And sorry for the long comment really wasn't trying to be mean.

KayVegas said...
KayVegas, Chapin, South Carolina

"I won't give up, no, I won't give in
Till I reach the end, then I'll start again.
No, I won't leave; I want to try everything;
I want to try, even though I could fail."

This is so sad