Decision Day | Teen Ink

Decision Day

By Sawsan BRONZE, Anaheim, California
Sawsan BRONZE, Anaheim, California

I can remember that day as if it were only yesterday, but unfortunately two years have passed. It was on August 21, 2014. My family’s names were called in the American Visa building. We’d been waiting for hours for our names to be called and the more we waited the more anxious we became.
Finally, the moment had come, the man called our names. Walking to the stall they called us from, I got scared. I don’t know why, but I was afraid that they might say no, and that we could never go to America. The man looked at us for a brief second and took the papers from my father’s hand, and started to check them. While he was checking the papers, I caught a glimpse of what his eyes revealed. All his eyes showed was sadness. Immediately my head swarmed with thoughts of how we would never get to go to America and how he would tell us that we could not go.
After a while, the man started signing papers, then he gave us back our papers, and said a sentence that I did not expect at all. “You can go buy plane tickets right now,” he said.
America, here I come!

What I have experienced was just a battle...Now I have to get ready for war. I deeply hope that people will always fight to get what they want. Thank you so much for reading.