Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

October 7, 2015
By Edewald GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Edewald GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am from waiting for the music of an ice cream truck, from playing outside until the streetlights glowed orange. From catching chirping, slimy frogs with cousins around a pond and running barefoot, stepping on delicate sticks. I am from the summer of camping and never going home.

I am from an excited, “Do you want to go to the beach?” and “There are no rules, the only rule is brushing your teeth.” I am from “Be the change you wish to see in the world,” everyday as I walked out of my third grade social studies door.

I am from gold and beige walls decorated with cheer and lacrosse trophies. From rolling hills where I relax and read, before target practice with the family.  I am from brilliant cheese brats at family dinners with fine china under lowly hung chandeliers.

I am from bonfires on summer nights, from a breeze blowing  the sunflower seeds. From the sunshine nourishing the freckles on my fair skin. I am from mesmerizing brown eyes looking for places to discover outside of my home.

I am from moving five hours for a job promotion and dodging glowsticks and parents after stealing brownies in late hours. From waking up at 3am safaris and three-hour treks up mountain sides, seeking morning mountain air. I am from children laughing shrieks, from the streetlights at dusk.


The author's comments:

This describes what has happened in my interesting life.