My Light | Teen Ink

My Light

By mortemsomnia PLATINUM, Niagara Falls, Other
mortemsomnia PLATINUM, Niagara Falls, Other

I don’t know when it happened. All I know is that a light went out. It’s like walking past a house every single day on your way home, and the porch light is always on, orange and beaming, and the television is flickering behind the curtains in the front room. You can see the figures of the family but you know inside they’re broken. And then one day you’re walking and you no longer see that light. There is no porch and there is no television. The whole damn house is gone. It wasn’t a good thing but you looked forward to seeing it. You looked forward to hearing them fight through the front door while a dog barked like crazy out in the backyard. It wasn’t anything beautiful but it was something. And then it was just gone. That’s what this feels like. My crazy little nightmare has dug so deep I can’t see it any more, and I can’t feel it any more. Each day I’m just waiting for the whole floor to collapse. It’s like I’m floating or suspended and my oxygen is running thin. One day I’ll disappear just like that old damn house. I wonder if anyone was chasing my light.