Peace | Teen Ink

Peace

October 3, 2015
By swim_2017 GOLD, El Paso, Illinois
swim_2017 GOLD, El Paso, Illinois
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender that is strength.-Arnold Schwarzenegger


PPeace (pees) –noun- A state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations. Peace is almost the complete opposite of our world today. Peace is a rare thing many people do not have, but many want to see. The world we live in today is absolutely chaotic place, where peace is in very few places. Everywhere you look in the world there are stressful problems, which prohibit peace from being in the world. In the Middle East there is war everywhere; there is war between the U.S. and the countries there. These war-ridden countries have no peace them; they are fighting a war, living scared lives, struggling to make ends meet. In some places they are oppressed and are not allowed many freedoms and are treated like they aren’t human beings. Where in places, which have peace there would be no war. Those places would be complete and polar opposites of a war-ridden country. Hardly anybody in this world today has true, pure peace; they all are focused on other things, which in the grand scheme of things, do not matter. If everybody could become less worried about the less important things in life, then more people would have true, absolute peace in their life.


Peace is the first day of summer. On the fist day of summer you have not a care in the world, nothing could possibly bother you. You have a feeling of relief come over you as you realize there isn’t anything stressful for today, or pressured for time about anything. On the first day of summer you have a realization that no matter what happens on the first day of summer, you could not possibly feel worse than how you felt during school, or in the winter, or when you were pressured to complete something. The first day of summer is a day for you to just relax and not care, because there is no school, nothing to make you stressed because you do not have a teacher that keeps giving you assignments that you have to complete in two days. When you are the first day of summer you are the closest most people come to peace in their lives.  When you have peace you feel like there are no problems in the world, everything going on in your life couldn’t be better, and no matter what happens in your life, you stay calm and do not let it bother you. Being at peace is being a car; When life gets rough you still ride smooth and keep rolling on. Meaning no matter how hard it gets, you just keep calm.


However, there are different kinds of peace. There is the peace where you have no conflicts within your life, peace where it refers to the world, and then there is the peace where you are at full enlightenment, meaning there are no conflicts in your life, you visualize the world as a peaceful place (when it really isn’t), and when nothing in life gets you down. Now the 3rd type of peace is extremely hard to reach, especially if you aren’t a “ganja smoking hippie” (its easier for them because the Mary Jane gives them a little help). The hippies of the 60’s seemed to be the most at peace out of any generation of people I have heard of. These people lived in a time where there were quite a bit of controversial things going on, like the Vietnam war, civil rights, and others. Many of them had non-violent protests, and were all around peaceful people.


When my grandpa was a teenager in the 60s, he said that there were a lot of people that were trying to find “peace” and many of them became “hippies”. One thing he recalled was the people who were in to all of that peaceful protest stuff, they seemed to have a lot of good things with the whole peace thing, but the only problem with them being so peaceful was, most of did not have the drive to do anything (because of the marijuana that most of them smoked) and they didn’t shower so they smelled bad. But in the end those people were one of the few to ever find true peace, and many people do not realize that because of all of the other things that went on with them, which drove some people away from trying that life style (probably the not showering, they would just smell terrible).


It is sad that some people will never even come close to have true peace in their life because they are so distracted by everyday life to do anything about it. That is why I am proud to be a teenager where I shouldn’t have a care in the world, no bills, no job, teenagers have life pretty easy compared to other kids in other parts of the world, yet many of us act like it is terrible because we have to go to school and didn’t get the new iPhone or some other kind of winy crap. That is probably why we are considered the generation “me”. Many people will never know what being at peace is, they cannot think about anything but what stresses them out. They are always worried that they will not get what they need and will not finish the things they need to get complete in their lives and their jobs. Finding peace is an extremely hard thing to do, many people spend years trying to reach a level of enlightenment where they can be at true peace, but most of them never reach their goal. If we could just focus on the things truly important in life, everybody would be a lot happier, because they would be so much closer to finding peace in life.