Faking Her Death | Teen Ink

Faking Her Death

September 30, 2015
By sydneyjohnson BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
sydneyjohnson BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?” ~Ernest Gaines


I sigh as I see my phone light up once again.

I already know that it's another text from *Genna. I mentally prepare myself and unlock my phone, and see the text I've dreaded for so long: “I don't think you or *Jaden love me enough. I'm going to kill myself”. I threw my phone in fury. By this time I knew that of course, Genna wasn't actually suicidal. From past experience and knowing her well enough, I know this to be true. She just wants to guilt me with the weight of her life which she knows means so much, maybe even too much to me. Oh, so many hours I stayed up trying to convince her that she is worth so much to me and that her life is everything.

One day I realized that my efforts were useless, though. I realized she just wanted a way of getting back at the world, and she had chosen me for her revenge.

Out of emotional maturity, I decided not to confront Genna on this matter. It would be better if I act oblivious to it, to prevent either of us from getting any more hurt than we already are. Even so...she should know not to threaten me with her own life. I take suicide as a very serious topic and it is not to be meddled with. I, with my inner sympathy and compassion, am not to be meddled with. She, nor anyone, should fake out wounds to where I think they are seriously hurt. It will take me too long to realize that they were only faking depression. This is because I believe the topic should be taken entirely seriously until 100% proven to be fake. She probably doesn't realize it, but Genna is losing my friendship quickly. The test of time proved Genna's suicide threats to be fake and merely out of vengeance. In the end, it was only to hurt me. 

* Names were changed in order to keep information of others private and anonymous.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this because I wanted to share this personal experience, and spread the idea that faking suicide and depression is not okay. These topics should be taken very seriously.