Returning Home | Teen Ink

Returning Home

By lilly22498 BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
lilly22498 BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois

On March 21st, 2013, I moved from my home to another state. I was having a tough time at school and it was all just too much. My new place of residency was better for me, academically. I was doing amazing in school. I was still in contact with all of my friends. I even saw them every other week. It was as if nothing changed, minus the fact that I now lived 62 miles from everything I knew and loved. I knew it was the best decision I had ever made, until I decided I missed home and moved back approximately a month later. The day I decided I had enough of long distance with the people was the day that changed my entire life.

Before I returned, I had two best friends. Not long after being home, I ended up with none. I had plenty of other people that meant so much to me, but they were the ones I counted on the most. One of them ended up becoming closer with another while I was gone which I hadn’t known about until I returned and seen it with my own eyes. I knew they were hanging out and all thanks to social media, but I never imagined I would lose her because of it. I was replaced. We’re close again now, sure. However, that doesn’t change the fact that while I was gone trying to do better for myself, I lost her. I was devastated, but I let go. I didn’t need someone like that in my life. She had started smoking marijuana more, and I wasn’t into that kind of stuff. We may be friends again, but I can never fully trust her again to be as close as I was to her before. She broke my heart when we faded, and I don’t know if I can ever fully forgive her for that. She may not deserve the full blame, but I saw it as the ultimate betrayal. Believe me; I know most friendships don’t last forever, but I truly thought ours would.
My other best friend began to change slowly, but surely, when I moved back. We grew apart quicker than I would like to admit. I used to count on him for everything. I talked to him every day, multiple times a day while I was away. I never imagined I would have to deal with losing him so soon. I got a reality check to say the least. I realized how quickly things can change. Friendships can end quicker than you can say goodbye. I never truly said goodbye to him. Virginia Brown, author of Dark River Road, said, “Sometimes the hardest goodbyes are the ones never said, the ones that always just hang there in the back of the mind like a dark cloud.” That describes the end to this friendship down to the core. We talk here and there, but our friendship ended 2 years ago. I moved on, I let go. I realized that some people are meant to leave people’s lives. I guess he was always meant to leave mine, and that’s okay.

Sometimes I wonder why I ever returned. I would have my best friends still more than likely. I would be graduating high school this year. My life would probably be close to perfect, but then I remember the third reason my life changed that day. I met the love of my life when I moved back. It all finally made sense. I understood why fate made me decide to come home, it was to meet him and ultimately, be happier than I ever have been. He mended my almost broken soul. I had lost almost everything; then he came along and altered everything for me. He is wise, funny, and one of the best people I have ever met. He is such an understanding person. We have our moments where I feel like I should’ve just stayed where I was, but he quickly makes me forget all that nonsense. His kiss melts my insides. His touch sends electricity through my entire body. I may never tell him exactly how much I love him, but he knows I love him dearly. I have an undying love for him in my heart, and in my soul. I am a lot to deal with, and I always thought that after he found out more about me, that he would leave. But he never did. He stayed, he remained by my side through the last two years and I couldn’t be more grateful. I have found my constant. I’m seventeen years old, but I can feel it. He is the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. He is the person I am meant to be with. He is the love of my life, and I’m glad that I returned and life went as it did. If I had stayed away from home, I would have had two best friends… but I wouldn’t have him.

A lot of people think the pain will never end when they lose someone important to them. However, I lost two people and I am okay with it. Sometimes good things fall apart so that a better thing can fall together.