The Story of My Best Friend | Teen Ink

The Story of My Best Friend

September 17, 2015
By AutumnNoelle SILVER, Hebron, Kentucky
AutumnNoelle SILVER, Hebron, Kentucky
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was in the 6th grade, I had a best friend. His name was Jayden, He went to the same school with me, lived down the street and was always there for me. One day I saw Jayden really sad at school in the hallway.


“Jayden what’s wrong?” I asked.


“Eh, nothing Aut, it’s just hard being the only gay person in my family and at school” Jayden replied.


“Now, Jayden” I said. I’m sure you’re not the only gay person at school, I’m sure there’s a lot of gay people but they just haven’t found the courage to come out yet”.


Jayden was the kind of person that was always laughing, making funny comments and sometimes always laughing and talking about what hideous thing someone was wearing. I didn’t have allot of friends that were girls, so he was like one of my best girlfriends that I could do nails, talk about boys and do makeup with. It was amazing having them around. However, I could always tell Jayden was upset with something. Something was always getting to him. I just didn’t want to get into his business because you know, it was his business. But, my friend’s feelings mattered more to me so I built up the courage to ask him what’s wrong. It was around lunch time when I decided to ask him. I looked around the cafeteria and I couldn’t see him.


“OH there he is” I yelled”.
As I looked to the lunch line I saw Jayden strolling over to me with his neon green suspenders and his strawberry milk. He looked so happy and I didn’t want to ruin it. But hey, like I said his feelings matter to me more.


“Hey Jay, can I ask you a question”.
“Sure Aut” Jayden replied.
“Why have you been upset the past few month?”
“I knew you were eventually going to ask that” said Jayden.
“Well if you must know, my Dad doesn’t accept me being gay”.


After he explained everything to me, I finally understood. Jayden’s Dad didn’t accept him at all. You see, his Dad got his Mom pregnant then left for a while until Jayden was 7. At age 15 he finally came out to his parents. His Dad kind of already knew. Jayden’s Dad had 5 sons. Jayden, Malikai, Daikale, Jase and Malik. Only 1 out of the 5 were Jayden’s biological brothers, both came from his Dad and his Mom. Jase wasn’t even his Dad’s kid, he was better than the actual Dad so he claimed him as his own. Daikale and Malik were kids of a girl Jayden use to mess with as you would say. Jayden never socialized with Jase or Malik. Malik hated Jayden because he was gay. However, Daikale and Jayden were both gay so they got along great. Every time Jase or anyone of his other sons came over, Jayden’s dad would treat them like royalty. Always buying them something, taking them out, spending time with them. But it wasn’t the same with Jayden because he was gay. Now don’t get me wrong, Jayden’s Dad loved him allot. He was just indifferent about him being gay. Jayden would want to paint his nails and do his makeup but his Dad always said he can do that, but not in his house. Ever since then I’ve always been closed to Jayden, he is my best friend and always will be. I love him, his Mother and his brothers dearly, even His dad because he is nice to me and now he is becoming more comfortable with Jayden being gay. Now, he’s realized what a great talented son he truly has.


The author's comments:

This story is REAL and is about my my best friend and what he has been through. IN my Creative Writing class, my task was to right an Immersion piece. So, I decided to write about my best friend and his life story. This article is not only to tell about my friend, but it was also made to tell readers that no matter what your sexual orientation is, you are you and still human.