The Street | Teen Ink

The Street

By Anyacook4 SILVER, Pineapple, Other
Anyacook4 SILVER, Pineapple, Other

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”― Martin Luther King Jr.

As I gazed out of my window, the dark solitary street stretched across the broad horizon. Not a single soul in sight, as far I could tell, anyway. The birds tweeting, and the owls twooting, a glimpse of a black cat with its gleaming, green eyes was all I could ever see. Slowly but surely each house switched their lights out one by one, as though it was all choreographed to an immaculate routine. The odd tin can scuttled across the jet black road, adn the cat eyes bounced their neon light all around, their brightness reaching for the stars.

In a flash, thunder struck, hitting the near by evergreen tree, whose leaves turned into ashes and drifted to the ground by the wind. Rain poured down, gallons at a time and soon the gutters were overflowing. My electricity has suddenly been cut off, and it felt as if I had just been transported back to the stone age. In the middle of ice cold winter, and the snow that was turned in black ice, with no power, was a death wish for sure. I waited for perhaps thirty minutes on my window ledge waiting for the thunder and rain to stop, and finally it had finished. The clock struck midnight, and I decided to go to bed. As I took a last look out of my window, down towards the street, it still ceases to amaze me, how horrible the street was, yet I had come to love it.