Living with Grandma | Teen Ink

Living with Grandma

By Gregory Barrera BRONZE, Minneapolis, Mississippi
Gregory Barrera BRONZE, Minneapolis, Mississippi

Leaving my home from Minneapolis was quite weird for me. Mostly because I lived my whole life in Minneapolis. I left my home of Minneapolis when Summer break began. My older sister left with me too. My memory is slowly fading from my past events so now I don’t remember how we got to California. We were on the way to our Grandma’s house to visit her while it was Summer break.

When we arrived to California our grandma was quite happy to see us. Our grandma loves eggs, she mostly fed us eggs every day. I grew sick of eggs day after day eggs every day, but sometimes we had other foods like chicken. One time I tried to eat all the chicken before anyone would get their hands on it. My grandma said it was ok for me to eat all the chicken but I couldn't for I was full. She said to me “Well Greg you want all that chicken so eat it all.” I couldn’t eat anymore so I had to eat the same chicken every day until I was done.
My sister and I went to the beach at midnight with our uncle. It was a mixture of horror and beauty. The ocean water was pure darkness during the night. I stood there for a few minutes staring at what I thought was a cliff into darkness, but in reality the ocean was just calm enough to look flat. There was a fishing dock near us so I decided to take a look around it. I touched the sand near the stairs of the fishing dock. The sand glowed ghostly blue. I didn’t know what jellyfish were at this age. I know now that the sand was just glowing because jellyfish were there before. We returned home after a few minutes at the beach.

My sister, my two aunts, their boyfriends and I took a trip to my grandpa’s grave the following day. We had some trouble finding his grave stone, but we found his grave stone about a hour of searching in the cemetery. We placed our flowers on his grave stone and said a few words. We were there longer than we knew. The gates were locked, we ended up climbing a brick wall to escape the cemetery.
One of my aunts said we should all go see a movie a few minutes after we left the cemetery so, to the movies we went. We were walking up across some escalators when suddenly. The aunt which said we should see a movie got one of her high heels stuck between the escalator steps. She pulled her high heel out just in time as the escalator steps came to an end screaming as she did.

Summer Break felt like a year to me. I forgot what day it was and even the month. I noticed that other children were attending school. I didn’t complain about not going to school, at this age not going to school felt like a gift. If I remember correctly Helloween passed and I was still not enrolled in school.

The beginning of December was quite a weird month for me. For a random lady came to visit my grandma’s home. My grandma lead the way to the stranger. The lady was in our room sitting on our bed. Grandma opened the door for us, my sister ran at this stranger, and wrapped her arms around her. I was confused so, I just did what my big sister did. My sister said with tears running down her cheeks “Mom you’re here!” that’s when it hit me. This stranger was my mother, I’d forgotten how she looked and even her name. I didn’t feel happy or sad. Just felt confused by what had happened. We stayed for Christmas and after a few more weeks my mother took us back to Minnesota. Five years passed until I finally knew why we were left there. Our grandma kept us in California because she thought our Mother was to young to be responsible and would be better off if we were with herself rather than with her daughter. Also my mother was being divorced that’s why we were sent to California.

Leaving home to a land of mysteries was not so bad. I had fun with my grandma, but I’ll always be with my mom. Even if I lost some knowledge not going to school for awhile. I still had a different knowledge of my grandma not only her, but the whole family. Meeting my mother after such a long time was quite weird. I’m happy I got to meet my grandma and the whole family, but it would have been nice if I met them a better way.