Indelible | Teen Ink

Indelible

By jungk1 BRONZE, Douglaston, New York
jungk1 BRONZE, Douglaston, New York

"Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be" -Sonia Ricotti

I groaned as I stepped out of my air-conditioned car and into the hot, scorching sun. I didn’t understand why I had to help do volunteer work with my dad when I could be hanging out with my friends. I frowned as I looked up into the bright sun.

“Listen, I need you to do a big favor for me. I know you don’t think this is fun or important, but to these people, it’s a once in a lifetime chance. I need you to give everyone a smile,” my dad told me as he looked me straight in the eye.
I gave him a careless nod.

“Why is he taking this so seriously? It’s just a hiking trip,” I thought to myself. Two big coach buses arrived and I stared as a group of people rushed over to help the people get off the bus. “What the...how are we supposed to go hiking with these people?” The volunteers started to unfold the wheelchairs and gout out cots, walkers, and crutches. I had no idea how I was supposed to help out. I slowly counted the number of intellectually disabled people, “..14..15..16..” As I faced the people, they all gave me happy, excited smiles. I unconsciously smiled back. I started to talk with a few of the people. Despite their disabilities, they all seemed enthusiastic and happy. I thought about how I would react and behave if I was disabled. I figured that I would probably go around sulking with a sour expression on my face all the time.

“Alright, let’s go everyone!” my dad exclaimed.
I had absolutely no idea how this was going to work.

My mouth hung open and I stared in awe as the volunteers lifted up the wheelchairs with people in it. I stood there, dumbfounded, for a few minutes, not knowing how to help. I felt like the only thing I could do to help was cheer them on with a bright smile. There were about six volunteers holding up one disabled person in a wheelchair. Sweat poured down everyone’s faces. I wondered why the volunteers chose an event that required so much work. As we inched closer to the top, my dad came into my view. He was drenched, but smiling.

“We’re almost there! Just a little more,” my dad called out. I watched him as he tried to motivate everyone. Everyone was dead tired, but no one complained or stopped for a long rest.

I looked up to see the view at the top of the mountain, and the view took my breath away. The green landscape stretched across and a beautiful, sparkling lake came to view as I turned around. The sky was a bright blue color and the sun was shining down on us. I looked around to see everyone cheering with smiles from ear to ear on their faces. I watched many people go up to my dad to thank him for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

As everyone got prepared to go back down the mountain, I slowed down my pace. I thought about my dad, the volunteers, and myself. And then I understood. I understood why my dad created this event, why he had worked so hard. He had helped people do and see things they never could have done or seen by themselves. I understood how much this trip meant to everyone. A few people wiped away their happy tears.
From that point on, I changed my attitude when it came to helping others. That day, I realized how a small thing in my life could affect another person’s life greatly. I started volunteering for many things. I joined a walk to help find a cure for breast cancer, visited children’s hospitals, and did my best to raise funds.  I found that helping another person out brought happiness to myself and others, even if it meant hard work and effort.