My Story | Teen Ink

My Story

July 10, 2015
By chloekarina SILVER, Miramar, Florida
chloekarina SILVER, Miramar, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"'For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but My steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed' says the Lord who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10


I was a  moralist and overachiever at heart.  I did everything I could to save myself, which was so futile and foolish of me. 

It is breathtaking to realize that God would choose to love me in spite of my previous prideful rejection. The Holy Spirit transformed my heart to give me the ability to understand the depth of my sin and my need to be saved from myself.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “By grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” It took the work of the Holy Spirit to convince me of this. I had to admit to my offenses against the One who seemed so cold and distant. God was like an enemy that I was afraid to confront.

When I began to comprehend the purpose of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross for me, I began to understand the severity of sin, of my sin, I began to understand that the only way my guilt and bondage could be overcome was by the death of the Father’s perfect Son in my place.

Overwhelming shame led me to my knees. I cried and cried, repenting in my heart for ever thinking that I didn’t need God and for disobeying His commands. The Holy Spirit opened my eyes to understand the good news of Jesus Christ called the Gospel and I was saved at age ten. This was the start of my Christian walk.

This truth is so amazing that it can be difficult to accept. It’s hard to live by faith and not by sight. It’s difficult to admit that every single wrong we do separates us from God, the One who created us and knows us from the inside out. This separation causes emptiness within our souls. Nothing can fill that emptiness except for total forgiveness and a relationship with God, a loving relationship that will never, ever change!

Reliance on success, money, earthly relationships, appearance, acceptance, and such will not bring satisfaction. Even the happiest, most enjoyable and triumphant times are fleeting. Only receiving God’s one way love in Jesus Christ will provide eternal satisfaction.

You too can be forgiven of your sins by placing your trust in Jesus.  No sin is too terrible that God cannot forgive it, but if not cleansed, even the  smallest sin will separate you from God forever.

Tullian Tchividjian said, “The gospel alone liberates you to live a life of scandalous generosity, unrestrained sacrifice, uncommon valor, and unbounded courage.” By the strength of the Holy Spirit, this is the kind of life I want to live.
I believe the promise of scripture that says “I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate [me] from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”