Always be yourself | Teen Ink

Always be yourself

By Malakkhan BRONZE, Karachi, Other
Malakkhan BRONZE, Karachi, Other

When I was little my mother left me and my my dad all alone. I grew up without her. When I was 13 I thought she must be pretty disappointed to leave a 3 year old and from then I wanted people to like me and give me importance so I completely changed myself. I used to be a computer geek who used to sit at the side table near the dustbin in the cafeteria with my besty Mindy. We were very close. She was also a geek and all our lives we had dreamed about studying in MIT when we grow up. 

But everything changed after I took a decision to become popular. After a year I was totally transformed. I had left my best friend and I was so called friends with Denna, a mean popular girl with no heart. She was only my friend because she wanted me to do her homework and I return I could sit with the cool kids. I used to so grateful to Denna for giving me what I wanted but I didn't realise how much I changed. I used be a sweet, loving girl but after being friends with Denna I was a rude and mean even to Mindy who never said anything to me no matter how much I insulted her. I guess she still had hope in me.

I had everything but I wanted more popularity so I tried out for head chair leader because I of my flexibility but I didn't know Denna was also trying out and when she saw me there she was furious. I tried to explain but she didn't listen and poured water on my pants and told everyone I was so nerves that I peed in my pant. I was so embraced I left the room and went home. 

The next day my life became upside down. I thought that it was a small fight but when I went to school it was nothing like I imagined. Denna again insulted me and didn't even let me sit on my seat so I had to sit at the corner table but the painful part was that I had to face Mindy. I thought she would do the same to me as I did with her but she was nice enough to forgive me.

At the start I felt embracement but later I ignored her as she didn't matter to me anymore because I realized I was also Denna a few days ago and I treated people same as she was treating me so I changed myself became me the sweet and loving girl that dad and Mindy loved. That day my dad told me"if your mother left you it's her problem because she missed out a wonderful child that I am proud to have" and he and Mindy encouraged me to become myself again.

Everything was going ok, Denna used to insult me and made funny videos of me but I didn't care nomatter what she did but one day Denna went overboard. She told the principal that I stole her gold necklace her daddy send her. I told the principal it wasn't me but she insisted to check my locker. I said yes because I wasn't hiding anything but when he opened my locker it was there. I told him I didn't steal it but the fact that it was in my locker give him no choice but to expell me. I asked to watch the CC tv footage and what was strange that the person who put the necklace in was wearing a top that only me and Denna had in the whole school. The principal said obviously she wouldn't steel her own necklace so it was only me left to blame but I knew it was her but I needed evidence so i took the footage home to observe carefully and thankfully I found the evidence which Mindy pointed out , It was the birthmark Denna had on her left arm which appeared in the footage. When I showed that to the principal he believed me and Denna was transferred to a new school. 

After that life was the way I wanted it to be , people liked me for me although it was just Mindy and dad but they were more than enough and most importantly after that I became myself the true me not the fake me that me and everyone hated.

And in the end i learned that we should always be ourself and never change the way we are for others because who we are is more than perfect and people who love you will always stick with you no matter what and those are true friends that many don't get so if you have 1 or 2 who truly loves you then never let them go , always love and cherish them.

I wrote this experience of a friend for you guys to know to always be yourself and don't change yourself for others because people who really love us will always stick around and love us for ourselves