My Mixed Culture | Teen Ink

My Mixed Culture

By Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

There are so many different cultures, ethnicities, and ways to live all around the world. They range from different foods, music, dress, attitude and sports. I come from mixed culture. Personally I have experienced many different cultures within my own family and I am truly blessed to have those experiences.

Let’s start off with the fact that my father is Puerto Rican & Mexican. I can tell you personally that I think they are some of the proudest people I have ever met. Living with my dad we had “arroz con frijole y chuleta, pollo, empanadilla, y quenepas” (rice with beans, pork chop, chicken, etc.) on a daily basis. I used to say rice was breakfast, lunch and dinner. I guess you get used to it after a while. And how when my step mom would clean she would blast bachata music so loud you couldn’t hear your own thoughts. And I think it’s pretty common that most Hispanic families can be pretty big I guess. My grandmother has 5 children of her own, 26 grandchildren and now 3 great grandchildren. My family was always pretty close; we were around each other so much we practically all lived together. And that we will have a barbeque for any reason we can possibly think of. One thing I always remember is how we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. Like we open our gifts at midnight and just stay up all night and party pretty much. But it was never like that at my moms. Something else I’ve noticed but never really wanted to admit was that I can say that the attitudes you can get from a Puerto Rican girl doesn’t get much worse at times. But I love everything about my family and culture. I love the music and the food and the big families get togethers and the attitude and our language. I can say one thing I’ve always loved is being able to be bilingual. I love the Spanish language, and how every place speaks it differently.

Now my mom is 100% Italian. Her grandparents were all immigrants from Calabria, Italy. I think that Italians are some pretty proud people too (just not as cocky). Life with my mom is a lot different. My mom cooks everything from spaghetti and meatballs, linguini with shrimp and alfredo, ricotta stuffed ravioli, to all different pastas and sauces and soups and bread. And as I said before our Christmas’s were very different. Like my mom would make us go to bed early and we couldn’t open our gifts until everyone else in the house opened there gifts. And then we would get dressed up in our new clothes and go to my great grandmother’s house to have a family dinner. And one of my favorite things was how my family would sing the “Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey” song just to annoy my gramps. I honestly don’t think there’s much of a music preference on that side of my family. I don’t know any Italian; I haven’t really tried to learn any though. I only know “ti voglio bene” (I love/care for you) and “pizano” (my friend). My gramps used to say those things to me when I was younger.

Finally, I also think my stepdad has influenced my culture a little bit too. He has been with my mom for the last 12 years and his family has become my family too. They are African American. I think they are pretty traditional American. My grandfather is a pastor, so the whole family goes to church every Sunday and then comes home for Sunday dinner. Every child or teenager in the family plays sports I think it’s kind of funny but they all live in the same neighborhood. They have family get together for all the big holidays. They are very religious and family oriented and I respect that. One thing I can say is that every part of my family comes from the same religion. We are all Baptist Christian.

I think all the parts of my family and culture have had a big influence on who I am, no matter how different they are. I love the variety I have in my life and I am blessed to have experienced so many different cultures. I can say I wouldn’t change my big mixed up family for the world.